Right Front Inner Axle Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383Z

Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty KJ limited. The splines on the right inner axle shaft and CV are worn. Just purchased the CV and trying to figure out how to remove the shaft from the Diff. I've searched all over and can't find the info. Does the shaft just pull out or is there a snap ring inside the Diff that keeps it in place?
Thanks for the help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty KJ limited. The splines on the right inner axle shaft and CV are worn. Just purchased the CV and trying to figure out how to remove the shaft from the Diff. I've searched all over and can't find the info. Does the shaft just pull out or is there a snap ring inside the Diff that keeps it in place?
Thanks for the help
There is a ring, but 99% of the time it just pops out.
Grab the end of the intermediate shaft with pliers,/ vice grips, push back in as far as it goes then pop it out
ALWAYS replace the intermediate shaft when replacing the CV
Hopefully you bought a rebuilt from NAPA.
The ones from other parts stores many times are too short and will cause issues
also back to the intermediate shaft / CV if you do not replace both then one or the or both will wear out faster

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also when was yours built ?
Before April 12, 2002 they were 3/4 of an inch higher in front than those built after that date.
Measure the left front, from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and report back

383Z

Reaction score
Awesome instruction! Vise grips and a mallet and POP. It was built 2002-05-09 according to the VIN lookup and purchased June 26 2002.

This is the CV I ordered:
2002 JEEP LIBERTY 3.7L V6
CARDONE 663352 (66-3352) CV Axle

Can't do any measuring right now. It's disassembled for this repair. It had a 2-2.5" lift installed at original purchase
And I just replaced all control arms and new stock front struts. It had alum insert in old strut crushing the spring. Still has the pics in back though. So a new front lift is needed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome instruction! Vise grips and a mallet and POP. It was built 2002-05-09 according to the VIN lookup and purchased June 26 2002.

This is the CV I ordered:
2002 JEEP LIBERTY 3.7L V6
CARDONE 663352 (66-3352) CV Axle

Can't do any measuring right now. It's disassembled for this repair. It had a 2-2.5" lift installed at original purchase
And I just replaced all control arms and new stock front struts. It had alum insert in old strut crushing the spring. Still has the pics in back though. So a new front lift is needed.

CV from Cardones :(
Good luck
and doesn't sound like you have a real lift, only spacer
if so replace with OME springs, 927 front, 948 rear and appropriate shocks ( Bilstiens or OMEs only )
we do not have front struts only cars with no UCAs come with struts, we have coilover shocks

383Z

Reaction score
I'll take your advice and return the Cardones CV and look up those parts you've listed. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Members online