Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I found out the other night why I have always had so much trouble backing my trailer up at night...apparently both of my reverse lights are out. I'm not sure how long they've been out or whether I've even ever had any (it's always passed inspection), but does anyone have a link to a how-to for replacing them? Is it better to do it yourself or is it something a mechanic would be better suited to replace? My brother mentioned something about there being seals around the casings that could let water in if they aren't properly re-sealed, so I'm a little nervous to work on it myself.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If replacing the bulbs does not fix the problem...check with a meter if you are getting +12 volts to the bulb contacts with reference to ground. Also check the ground has not gone missing to the bulb ground.

If you are not getting that voltage...check the fuse (fuse 39 inside the cabin).

Then check if your Reverse Switch attached to the gearbox is working...pull the connector off of it and short out the two wires...if the reverse lamps now come on then your switch is faulty.

I had this problem on my 2002 Export CRD 5 speed manual. The switch is located on the LHS underneath....driver's side in the USA.. and need a long-reach socket to remove.

Mine tested bad so I opened up the switch by carefully peeling back the crimped metal housing..I then cleaned the contacts and put it all back together.
Been working fine now for about two years.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plunger switch proved bad earlier this year and it was around 25/for Napa part. Troubleshoot like Bill well says. Its an easy fix.