Rev limiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Why in the world would you sit and rev to 5800 RPMs no common sense at all

For some diagnostic tests:D,seriously.

You can hold it at redline and do no damage(well at least for 200 hours,wouldn't want to go much past that continuously without a oil change) ,why it's there.If damage does occur you had a underlying issue already.

hate to say it, but SERVED.

not saying I sit there and rev it up just for ***** and giggles.. I've only done it twice in a span of around 15 seconds, just seeing how the engine behaved.

I call BS to any one who claims over 5500 in a 3.7 auto KJ ,45rfe

I'll try to get a picture and or video of it..

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But I don't care if it hurts it right away or not ...why just to hear it scream or what?

Midgear

Reaction score
But I don't care if it hurts it right away or not ...why just to hear it scream or what?

various reasons.. I did it to see how the engine behaved, sounded, how fast it revved up and wined down.. I know it's no performance machine, but I was curious- so I found out.

might reveal a problem too, giving it the beans while not rolling down the road. can listen and pay attention to the engine itself instead of foot to the floor while in gear going down the road..

one problem it did reveal to me as a matter of fact is I needed to replace my belt LOL

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't answer that TBJ. But..... I did run a bottle fed FZ750 at Shannonville Raceway in the way early 90's. Shifted when the mill bounced off the rev limiter, 11500 rpm. That thing was a banshee with the can off. Best I ever turned was an 11.28 @ 126 mph.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't answer that TBJ. But..... I did run a bottle fed FZ750 at Shannonville Raceway in the way early 90's. Shifted when the mill bounced off the rev limiter, 11500 rpm. That thing was a banshee with the can off. Best I ever turned was an 11.28 @ 126 mph.
I think a big block turning 7000rpms sounds better,just my opinion.

The Olds 350 "Rocket" I built loved 7000rpm,though it was balanced.Nothing like a BB screaming at 7000rpm through 2 7/8" primaries(un-equal length long tubes),116 octane race gas,13.5:1 comp ratio.Man that would give you a woody for daysleghump.gif

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a big block turning 7000rpms sounds better,just my opinion.

The Olds 350 "Rocket" I built loved 7000rpm,though it was balanced.Nothing like a BB screaming at 7000rpm through 2 7/8" primaries(un-equal length long tubes),116 octane race gas,13.5:1 comp ratio.Man that would give you a woody for daysleghump.gif
Best sounding BBC I ever heard was under the hood of my '70 Chevelle. Most beautiful music ever was made between the Jessel gear drive and the 4" exhaust. Had a mildly modified LS5 spec 454. Little roller this, little tunnel ram that.....

Dude by the name of Ivan Bida, at Ivan's Custom Auto in Moose Jaw, Sk helped me build it during my apprenticeship. His Olds 442 was sumpin' else too. That overdriven 6-71 made noise straight from H***, blower belt whine is one of my favorite things.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are dumb.
Best sounding GM engine is the Buick 300 V8 :D

If it was an RZ350 that would make more sense :D

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are dumb.
Best sounding GM engine is the Buick 300 V8 :D
One of my buddies father has a '66(If I remember the correct year) Buick Special with the 300 V(11.5:1 comp ratio),convertible,straight side pipes,and all OE engine with only 60k on it,always had to had a bottle gas handy if it sat for more then 2 hours.Sounded pretty good but no BB.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie had a '66 Special, but it was a sedan, rotted out, and had documented confirmation the odometer was on its third trip around (rotflmao)

But good god what a great fun car. Got rearended and otherwise run into by God knows how many other cars. It wasn't even close to able to be restored. Best $250 ever spent :D

Midgear

Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie had a '66 Special, but it was a sedan, rotted out, and had documented confirmation the odometer was on its third trip around (rotflmao)

But good god what a great fun car. Got rearended and otherwise run into by God knows how many other cars. It wasn't even close to able to be restored. Best $250 ever spent :D

LOL.. poor car.

Members online

No members online now.