Researching Renegades.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent summary

Yeah, I get flamed at every forum I go to.

I've gotten used to it.

I'll admit, though, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Now, back on topic.....

I did find ONE Renegade w/lightbar and everything else. It fits the budget and it's a CommandTrac. It's even an 06 :) It also has 99.5K miles. Bummer...

Hell, how hard can it be to install that lightbar?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get flamed at every forum I go to.

I've gotten used to it.

I'll admit, though, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Now, back on topic.....

I did find ONE Renegade w/lightbar and everything else. It fits the budget and it's a CommandTrac. It's even an 06 :) It also has 99.5K miles. Bummer...

Hell, how hard can it be to install that lightbar?

No flaming intended - my apologies if I came across that way...

An '06 w/ 100K - bummer. The ole, "Yeah, but they are all highway miles" doesn't cut it with a Libby. Something more in the 75K range would be better.

I don't have it at my fingertips but there is a "how-to" post either here or over on LOST for the lightbar. They're still available new from a few places on the web - the scariest part of the install is drilling holes in the roof of the Libby. But like most mods if you take it slow and ask a bunch of questions on here you'll be fine.

And the GF will never know you didn't buy it with the lightbar! :flowers2:

Bob

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL I'll have to look up that How-To, then. I'm more than handy with a good set of tools so self-installation won't be an issue.

Now sure, I'd rather find a Renegade with that option already there but LOL I'm going to be doing all the maintenance/repair to it, anyway.

Speaking of which......

What are the things I should be watching out for?

Example: I know on early 90's Saturns, there is a sensor, the radiator, and the valve cover gasket that are known to fail.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen Rangers, the front wheel bearings usually give up the ghost after 80K miles and the clutch slave cylinders are junk.

Trans Ams (any year) PRONE to rust and the interiors are junk.

Every Ford sedan/wagon/van I've worked on - garbage auto trannies.

Sooooo..... LOL, what's the scoop on the Liberty?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL I'll have to look up that How-To, then. I'm more than handy with a good set of tools so self-installation won't be an issue.

Now sure, I'd rather find a Renegade with that option already there but LOL I'm going to be doing all the maintenance/repair to it, anyway.

Speaking of which......

What are the things I should be watching out for?

Sooooo..... LOL, what's the scoop on the Liberty?

With the '06s...

- Definitely the window regulators. Speaking of junk :freak3:

- Upper ball joints

- Blower motor resistor (though at $15 bucks and 7 minutes to replace not a big deal)

- Sagging springs/bad shocks - but that's a great excuse for some lifted fun. See the Lift Discussion section. (Go with the 2.5" OME springs/Bilstein shocks :smokin: )

- Transfer case position sensor (Thanks to a GREAT How-To here on this site it's a far easier fix than the Service Manual indicates)

- Front driveshaft CV joint. Same as above - thanks to a vendor here and a How-To a 30 minute/$75 repair

Others may chime in who have 06's with other things to watch for. Overall the Libby is a tough truck that will last a long time with standard maintenance.

Bob

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
An addendum to LibertyFever's post:

YOU CAN use SelecTrac's Full Time mode for Offroading, as I said before. The difference is the torque split. In a KJ, the split, in FT4WD mode is 48% Front, 52% Rear. Part Time mode's split is 50/50, and that is why you cannot use THAT for dry pavement. That 2% isn't a huge difference.

In other words, it doesn't matter. You just can't use PT mode on dry pavement. That's why it's called Part Time.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An addendum to LibertyFever's post:

YOU CAN use SelecTrac's Full Time mode for Offroading, as I said before. The difference is the torque split. In a KJ, the split, in FT4WD mode is 48% Front, 52% Rear. Part Time mode's split is 50/50, and that is why you cannot use THAT for dry pavement. That 2% isn't a huge difference.

In other words, it doesn't matter. You just can't use PT mode on dry pavement. That's why it's called Part Time.
To add...............

The select trac's 48/52 split is going in a perfectly straight line on dry pavement,it varies all other times for the torque split depending on alot of different things.Can be 100/0 or 0/100 all numbers in-between.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the '06s...

- Definitely the window regulators. Speaking of junk :freak3:

- Upper ball joints

- Blower motor resistor (though at $15 bucks and 7 minutes to replace not a big deal)

- Sagging springs/bad shocks - but that's a great excuse for some lifted fun. See the Lift Discussion section. (Go with the 2.5" OME springs/Bilstein shocks :smokin: )

- Transfer case position sensor (Thanks to a GREAT How-To here on this site it's a far easier fix than the Service Manual indicates)

- Front driveshaft CV joint. Same as above - thanks to a vendor here and a How-To a 30 minute/$75 repair

Others may chime in who have 06's with other things to watch for. Overall the Libby is a tough truck that will last a long time with standard maintenance.

Bob

Yeah, I've read about those window regulators. Ok so -1.

Ball Joints? LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I've done so many ball joints that I cannot even count that high! Ok, next?

Blower motor resistor: I'll have to look that one up.

Springs/shocks: Another thing I've done quite a few of. NOT overly difficult if you have a decent spring compressor (which, I do!)

Transfer case position sensor: Another one I'll have to look up.

As for CV joints: I've heard so many horror stories about them... then I tried one myself (albeit on a Saturn). I don't know what the big deal is....

I swear, some people must not be using the right tool for the job.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different type of CV joint,not on a drive axle but the front driveshaft going from the t-case to the front diff.

Yeah, I just caught that and read the How-To. Seems sooo easy.

Well, I guess I'll be trolling Auto Trader and Craigslist for the next few weeks until I find what I need to buy.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read about those window regulators. Ok so -1.

Ball Joints? LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I've done so many ball joints that I cannot even count that high! Ok, next?

There was a recall on the upper ball joints for some Libertys ("salt" states only if I remember correctly and specific years) so if you find a Libby cross reference the VIN with the recall on CarFax or somewhere credible to find out if your Libby was subject to the recall and whether it was done.

If it wasn't done...Not just a simple ball joint replacement. The entire upper control arm has to be replaced as Chrysler didn't make the ball joint replaceable. Best bet would be to replace the UCA with one from Jeepin' By Al with the replaceable ball joint (comes w/ Moog joint from JBA.)

A little bit more info for ya' - and again, look in the How-To section here and you'll see step-by-step instructions w/ pics for lifts and UCA replacement.

Bob

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok wow that's all good to know.

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days as JeepKJ is now off limits at work.

In the meantime, I haven't found any potential Renegades.

The search continues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.