Replacing the complete ac compressor Or ac compressor clutch kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesTapley

Reaction score
I have a used 06 jeep liberty with 3.7 engine which got from my brother last month.
In fact,this car has been 10 years old and my brother told me the only complaint is the ac system is not good. He suggested me to check and replaced it asap.
I found the problem is the ac compressor clutch will not engage.Many posts related the most efficient and inexpensive way is to have a new jeep liberty ac compressor clutch repair kit. The costs is about $30.00 or more.But I am not sure whether there are more problems with this old ac compressor.
Do you think should I buy 2006 jeep liberty ac compressor or just ac compressor clutch ?
For example, $86.5 vs $38.9
https://www.hexautoparts.com/ac-a-c-compressor-for-2006-2008-jeep-liberty-dodge-nitro-3-7l.html
https://www.hexautoparts.com/ac-compressor-clutch-repair-kit-includes-pulley-for-jeep-liberty-2006-2008-3-7l.html
So, if you were me,what is your choice ?
Thank you for your time.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the AC clutch actually energizing?

You should hear a "click" as it engages and you should then see the compressor now rotate at engine speed.

This could be a simple electrical problem so first observe the above.

If this is not happening remove the AC Relay from the box under the hood.
While engine is running briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty socket together...the clutch should "click"....I state "briefly" here as if the system is low on refrigerant and you force the compressor to run then you will soon damage the compressor.

There is a Refrigerant Low switch in the system that prevents the AC clutch from energizing if refrigerant is low so as to stop any damage,

Check the above....you may need to have the system charged up and checked for leaks or maybe the Low Refrigerant switch is bad....you can replace it without losing any coolant while doing so!

If the clutch is energizing but not rotating the compressor then you may need to simply replace the clutch plate. Some users here have done this with success....there is a procedure whereby the plate has to be spaced out the correct amount with shims.

Also check fuse 21 (20 A) in the PDC under the hood and check the black wire grounding the system is going to ground properly.

Last edited:

Heherson Pascual

Reaction score
It's good check the electrical pressure switch if the ac Unit does not activate.Try to jumpe the cables for the pressure switch,and check if the clutch start.Good luck.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your clutch coil is the problem it is a fairly simple fix . I did it on an 06' and it was pretty simple. Part was 25$ if you have the Halla compressor. Works as good as new.AS mentioned you should see it move when energized .
May not be the best way , but I unplugged it and ran a couple jumper wires to the terminals and had nothing. Good luck

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be worse, on my 03 the bearing failed and seized up, broke the belt and I had to re-route it. Bearing is stuck- might have to replace the entire compressor, and all the hassle that entails for a single stupid bearing since I'm sure it has welded itself to the compressor shaft.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rent a manifold and check the pressures after you verify it's not a bad relay/connector issue.