Replacing slave/master for clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking through the service manual and I cant find anything specific about removing the master and slave cylinder assembly for the clutch.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to go about this?

Been having difficult shifting for a while and finally got around to ordering a new master/slave assembly.

Thanks in advance.

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine a couple of months ago not a very fun project you will need to remove your computer pull the brake booster almost all the way off the studs and move the wiring harness to the center under the hood

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I just started looking at it and was thinking it looks like alot of stuff in the way.

Thanks for the insight. Any special tools required besides the regular sockets with extentions and wrenches?

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A universal joint will help other wise it just takes some patience and the neutral safety switch and clutch pedal linkage is kind of a pain to get at

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine a couple of months ago not a very fun project you will need to remove your computer pull the brake booster almost all the way off the studs and move the wiring harness to the center under the hood

I can vouch it's a nightmare to change that assembly and would never wish that repair on anyone.

Good luck and no special tools needed.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good to know I've got something to look forward to. I think I'll just keep pumping the clutch pedal for a while

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you topped up the level of the fluid in the reservoir which sits up against the bulkhead? The slave cylinder, master cylinder piping etc come as a complete and filled assembly but you can unscrew the top of the reservoir and top up with fluid to the marked level...brake fluid if I recall correctly.

I had my complete assembly replaced on my Export 2002 CRD under warranty due to a squicking pedal. The slave cylinder does not have a "bleed "nipple to flush the system so what I do every few years is use a large syringe to suck out as much fluid as I can from the reservoir, top up with new fluid to the correct level and repeat the process a month or so later....this hopefully gets rid of the bulk of old fluid which may have moisture in it which affects performance.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so am I missing something or did i just get a ****** part??

I actually did the replacement. only took 4 hours. bolted everything up. started the jeep. wont go into gear. looked under the jeep. big puddle of fluid. unbolted the slave cylinder from the transmission. all the fluid came out and the spring and the guts of the slave cylinder came flying out.

I am so annoyed right now.

are there any special steps???

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so am I missing something or did i just get a ****** part??

I actually did the replacement. only took 4 hours. bolted everything up. started the jeep. wont go into gear. looked under the jeep. big puddle of fluid. unbolted the slave cylinder from the transmission. all the fluid came out and the spring and the guts of the slave cylinder came flying out.

I am so annoyed right now.

are there any special steps???

It should have had a plastic retainer on the slave that stays on when installed,it will break the straps the 1st time you push in the clutch.

Besides that if the clutch itself is worn to much it could allow the internals on the slave to come out(to much extension) or you got the wrong part or possibly you have a bent fork.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should have had a plastic retainer on the slave that stays on when installed,it will break the straps the 1st time you push in the clutch.

Besides that if the clutch itself is worn to much it could allow the internals on the slave to come out(to much extension) or you got the wrong part or possibly you have a bent fork.

well now i get to sound like a dummy because I cut those restraining straps just before i bolted it to the transmission. i had no instructions with it so i left the cap on but cut the straps then held it in place with my hand, installed it and bolted it. im guessing that had something to do with it?

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes that would have caused the slave to over extend and break the seal on the piston causing the loss of fluid i think theres a new assembly in your future again

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes that would have caused the slave to over extend and break the seal on the piston causing the loss of fluid i think theres a new assembly in your future again

I ordered one as soon as this one broke.

You know I thought about it too. I thought, maybe you're supposed to leave the straps on and they will just break themselves. Then I thought, well if the step was that important they probably would give some sort of instruction sheet. Just my luck.

Thanks for the tips guys.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works a lot better when you don't cut the straps and just let them break. Shifting nice and smooth again feels so good!