Replacing radiator - anything else while i'm in there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So doing an oil change today and I noticed what I'm guessing is coolant leaking from the upper driver's side of the radiator. Felt slippery, didn't smell like oil, and then I noticed the coolant reservoir was about an inch and half below the "full cold" line.

I haven't noticed how long it's been this way. The reservoir was full at my last oil change, and I haven't noticed any puddles on the floor, so I'm guessing it's recent. Does anyone have any idea how long it would last until I can get to changing it? The radiator appears to be intact, so I don't expect a catastrophic failure...but I don't want to get stranded either. Parts store was closed by the time I found it, so I haven't ordered a radiator yet either.

While I'm in there, is there anything else I should be doing? Didn't know if anything else required the radiator or fan to be removed in order to fix it.

Thanks!

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you lost too much coolant, probably a hot pressure leak, that's why there's no puddles.

Keep an eye on it, but I think you'll be ok until the parts come it, just keep a jug of premixed coolant in the back, should be the orange stuff.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Developed a hairline crack about 2-3 inches long in the same place couple years ago and didn't notice for awhile either - almost got HOAT in my eyes as I lifted the hood it was spraying a fine thread straight upwards. Replaced just the rad with an aftermarket but probably should have had new hoses put in at the same time in retrospect, cheap insurance... they're pretty rough especially the inlet. If yours are bulging or cracking at ends might be a good time.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a stat, water pump a new belt, hoses and new HOAT at the same time as you will have a lot more room with the rad out and 100k will come soon. This is a good pm if you are doing the labor as those plastic fins are known to brake and water pumps dont last forever. Just do the whole coolant system and flush the over flow tank out as well.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's ok....i just tore mine all apart and had it all put back together only to find out they gave me the wrong radiator (the one without the transmission oil cooler mounts.) i had to take that out and i get to do it all over again...YAY!

and the thermostat i bought came with a gasket, fit right in the housing. hopefully no issues there.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Osufans, to make a long story short ..... GO OEM!!!!!!!! :whip:

When will we all learn the lesson......???!!!

Stealership too expensive ??? Then www...... + C/C + UPS = :smokin: