Replacement of Timing Chain tensioners 3.7l petrol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkKJ Cherokee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi from Australia

Purchased from Morris 4x4 the timing chain tensioners for 3.7L petrol Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) Are there instructions on how to do this ,is it a big job doing just the tensioners what gaskets will i need i only saw the one on the Morris website.
if i got a garage to do it approx how long to replace do the rocket covers have to come off just for the tensioners
Thanks mark

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi from Australia

Purchased from Morris 4x4 the timing chain tensioners for 3.7L petrol Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) Are there instructions on how to do this ,is it a big job doing just the tensioners what gaskets will i need i only saw the one on the Morris website.
if i got a garage to do it approx how long to replace do the rocket covers have to come off just for the tensioners
Thanks mark

(welcome)

The timing tensioners are actually not that difficult to replace. The hours a shop may charge may be somewhat high because the timing cover on the front of the engine needs to be removed to get to them.

The valve covers are not difficult either; components need to be removed or moved out of the way to get them off but not hard to do. For the record the rocker/valve covers to do NOT need to be removed to get to the tensioners. Only the timing cover in the front of the engine needs to come off (plus the components in front of/attached to the timing cover.)

Look through the Engine Swap Overview sticky in the How-To section and you'll see the front of the engine with the timing cover off.

Keep us posted!

Bob