Replacement Front Strut Advice Pls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Daystar 2.5" spacer lift on my Libby and the OEM shock struts have failed. Time for an upgrade :D

Can somebody please advise me what I should replace them with? Should I replace the failed struts with OEM ones or with a pair or aftermarket ones with the Daystar spacer on top?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Daystar 2.5" spacer lift on my Libby and the OEM shock struts have failed. Time for an upgrade :D

Can somebody please advise me what I should replace them with? Should I replace the failed struts with OEM ones or with a pair or aftermarket ones with the Daystar spacer on top?
Rancho or OME makes struts for the KJ,both are very good.Rancho's are about $80 each,OME's are about $130 each,neither is better then the other in my opinion though the Rancho's have been doing very good for me.Get some Rancho front struts and Rancho 17004's rear shocks and you'll be happy and save about $200 over the OME counter parts and get the same quility,plus the Rancho's have lifetime replacement(OME does not).

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I have an update.

I visited my dealership today and apparently they will replace my struts under warranty. Great, at least I'll be able to get my vehicle inspection done (its due by the end of this month).

I'll still shop for better struts, likely Rancho's and I'll be getting the extended bumpstops to prevent any damage to the new struts.

thanks for the advice guys...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Liberty, you have the Daystar poly pucks under your front springs? I took it as you had metal spacers over the top of the front struts. An OTT lift. Thats why I kept saying get the Daystar instead. You already have the Daystar:eek:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Derick (kj924) I was mistaken :^o. I have a Rusty's Offroad lift which does have the metal spacer on top of the strut. You're right, I should get the Daystar poly spacer which is placed under the strut not on top. Maybe I'l do it when I get the Rancho struts.

KJ2005

Reaction score
Rusty's Metal Spacers

I've been running the spacers in front / Skyjackers coil rear coils for a year they are harsh when going over a speed bump fast but ride normal otherwise. I've taken the jeep out a few times since and they perform well. When I'm in your situation I'll hope to have saved up for the pre-assembled frankenlift front springs/struts.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped a friend of mine install a pre-assembled Frankenlift lift. I learned a lot about how the whole front strut assembly comes apart and I won't be so timid the next time I have to dismantle it. The rear axle was simple.

My 2.5" spacer lift actually only lifted my Libby by 2". His proper Frankenlift kit lifted his Libby about 3" higher. I know, the new coils will settle some.

I'm happy with my Lift, I'll be able to put bigger tires under it now but seriously when I'm ready to seriously hit the trails I am going for a proper lift. Maybe a Frankenlift kit.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my libby has about 70k on it and going to install the Daystar 2". I figured that i will have the coils off the front,idea.gif why not replace the struts???? (About that time any ways) NOW????:confused: I know the Rancho or OME. What about the Monroe sensa trak??? A little cheaper, will last about another 50k mi. I've read that someone here has used them, and can't find it now. I only have a 2wd, but still do the family camping trip or off to the desert. (90%) highway miles though. Looking for a little help here fellow jeepers.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my libby has about 70k on it and going to install the Daystar 2". I figured that i will have the coils off the front,idea.gif why not replace the struts???? (About that time any ways) NOW????:confused: I know the Rancho or OME. What about the Monroe sensa trak??? A little cheaper, will last about another 50k mi. I've read that someone here has used them, and can't find it now. I only have a 2wd, but still do the family camping trip or off to the desert. (90%) highway miles though. Looking for a little help here fellow jeepers.

how much are te monroe? ranchos are $100 from summit and you can get them even a little cheaper on amazon

I would get the ranchos

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much are te monroe? ranchos are $100 from summit and you can get them even a little cheaper on amazon

I would get the ranchos

The Monroes are 69.00 a piece. Is there a HD version in these or just standard?

I have answerd my own question...... The Monroe Reflex are the HD verion for 94.00!!! I might as well go with Ranchos then. Does anyone have an opinion on the Reflex????

Last edited:

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Daystar 2,5" complete lift with the bumpstops .

Almost same price as the 2" no good lift.

Around $155...

What kind of alignment problems will i have with the 2.5 lift??? Is it the same stut??? Meaning could i still use stock if need be till they fail????