Replaced rear brakes, now a slight drag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, earlier today I replaced pads, rotors, and parking brake shoes/hardware on my '03 Liberty (136,000 miles).

Parking brake hasn't worked in some time, so I figured the shoes were toast. And confirmed - they were basically nonexistent. In any case, after replacing the shoes and hardware the rotors wouldn't seat all the way. So, I adjusted the parking brake screw (tightened) until there was basically no thread left. This helped me get the rotors back on although it was still a very snug fit. Really, the rotors were not seated 100% until I torqued the wheels on.

Okay, now the problems. Tested the car around the block and there is a slight dragging. My guess is that it is the parking brake shoes but don't know for sure. Other problem is that the parking brake lever still does nothing. I haven't messed with adjusting at the handle end.

Any ideas on the above- especially the slightly dragging brakes?

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjusting said parking screw would be one place I'd start. Try putting it back to where it was. Was the parking brake working prior to the work being done? If so then you changed something in the process of putting on the new pads/hardware.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjusting said parking screw would be one place I'd start. Try putting it back to where it was. Was the parking brake working prior to the work being done? If so then you changed something in the process of putting on the new pads/hardware.

Parking brake wasn't working before the pad/shoe replacement.

I can try adjusting the screw mechanism back towards the middle but that will actually make the shoes "push out" farther and therefore contact more with the rotors, right? I think that will make the drag worse....

Will try to mess with it this afternoon...busy morning otherwise.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you had to force the rotor on then there is a issue somewhere, either in the PB adjustment or something else / dragging/ hanging up there
You should not have to seat them by installing the wheels
remove it all and recheck

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I pulled things yesterday afternoon and it looks like the shoes weren't seated properly on the backing plate on one side. Got everything working except my parking brake, which just doesn't want to do anything. Oh well.

Another issue - flushed brake fluid and during the bleed realized my RR bleeder was completely stripped. Completely. Will probably need to disassemble the caliper at some point in the future. Wasn't able to bleed that corner. Oh well :)