Replace pinion bearing or swap axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my pinion bearing is bad as I have a loud hum under load. Similar sound to my mud tires just 5x louder.

I lifted the vehicle/tires off the ground and accelerated up to 20mph (don't do this) and the noise is still present which is why I believe it's the pinion bearing.

As someone who has never rebuilt a differential, should I pick up the proper tools and learn to rebuild it or just pick up an entire axle assembly from one of the yards listed on car-part.com? Last time I checked they had an assembly with 95k miles grade A for $200-300. I have hand tools, air tools, and a press.

If I pick up a used axle what should I look for? Is it possible to tell if there is a bad pinion bearing from inspecting it? Can I use any 02 to 07 year axle in my 03 with discs/no abs?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do this here shortly myself, so info on his last paragraph would be awesome. Thinking about picking up a junkyard axle and pinion since I live really really close to a junkyard and the guy hauls gravel from our put for us, so I could probably get them at an awesome deal.
I know it's not the best option, but should work if I like the looks of the axle. He has quite a few driveable ones from NY that rusted out just over 100k.

Won't be as good as buying a new one, but this hum is getting old and I've been dealing with it for over a year lol..
Every time I press my gas, especially going uphill.. wuhhhhhh wuhhhhhh wuhhhhh. So annoying.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do this here shortly myself, so info on his last paragraph would be awesome. Thinking about picking up a junkyard axle and pinion since I live really really close to a junkyard and the guy hauls gravel from our put for us, so I could probably get them at an awesome deal.
I know it's not the best option, but should work if I like the looks of the axle. He has quite a few driveable ones from NY that rusted out just over 100k.

Won't be as good as buying a new one, but this hum is getting old and I've been dealing with it for over a year lol..
Every time I press my gas, especially going uphill.. wuhhhhhh wuhhhhhh wuhhhhh. So annoying.

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to 4:10's.:gr_grin:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a rear axle already pulled from an 03 with 98k miles on it. Some surface rust as it was sitting since this past March. Guy is asking $200. Going to see if I can get it for $125.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what he is selling for $200

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is what he is selling for $200

Was it buried since March? Looks like it was under salt water since March of 1980. Seriously, That's a lot of rust to me, but I don't know where you are. Maybe its normal. They use a ton of salt where I am and we don't see anything like that. Sorry, just being honest.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in North Jersey. I wouldn't be using anything except the axle/diff. My current axle has similar rust on the tubes/spring perches.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did the Titanic have 3.73s or 4.10s? Looks like that's where it's from! LOL

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in North Jersey. I wouldn't be using anything except the axle/diff. My current axle has similar rust on the tubes/spring perches.

I'm thinking you are probably ok then but I'd do like you said and try to get it cheaper.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad not closer, I have two or five around
of course 02-05s with 3.73 gears
and none have anywhere that amount of rust , well none really

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rented a 4'x7' trailer from uhaul for $14.95. Going to go look at it after work tonight.

I noticed on the way into work today going over 70mph the hum quiets down a lot. So much that my tires become louder than it.

Is there anyway to make sure its not my transfer case or driveshaft before dropping money on this axle?

To repeat my issues are loud hum from 10mph-70mph only under load and then when going 20-25mph and slowing down it will rumble until about 5-10mph but stops rumbling if i touch the gas.

From what I read online the rumble should be a loose pinion and the hum should be a bad pinion bearing or worn gears.

Would using Lucas 85w140 non-synthetic gear oil cause the loud hum?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed it for 160. Hit it with the wire wheel and then some rustoleum rust reformer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I grabbed it for 160. Hit it with the wire wheel and then some rustoleum rust reformer.

Now remove calipers, brake lines, e brake cables etc, won't need them since you'll use your old ones, no need to bleed the brakes etc then

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now remove calipers, brake lines, e brake cables etc, won't need them since you'll use your old ones, no need to bleed the brakes etc then
That's the game plan

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes are off

Members online

No members online now.