Renegade ghetto rack/cross bars for 2" roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good ideas above but in my mind its still cheaper and easier to drill a hole through the side rails and run a 1/2 inch all thread through with a 1 inch gas pipe over it. good and strong as well
Have stood in my rack with no problems

You must be registered for see images attach

of course nothing compares to a real Rock Lizard Gecko rack

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good ideas above but in my mind its still cheaper and easier to drill a hole through the side rails and run a 1/2 inch all thread through with a 1 inch gas pipe over it. good and strong as well
Have stood in my rack with no problems

Hey Tom, I decided to go this route with mine. It looks the cleanest and I cant seem to find real clamp on tees anywhere for a reasonable price to fit the renegade rails. I have a couple questions
- did you put anything around the treaded rod to make rod fit snugly inside the 1" gas pipe that goes around it? if not it would be rattling around.
- how did you go about measuring where to drill through the rails....it isnt in the center. are the cross bars flush with the top of the roof rail?
- do you extend the gas pipe into the inside of the rail so that it appears flush from the innner facing surface of the roof rail?
- If you are extending the gas pipe to go through to the inside of the roof rails(but not all the way through) then is the thread rod even necessary? would the gas pipe on its own be strong enough??
- also, if anyone can tell me how far to put the bars apart from on another and how far back from the front of the rails that would be much appreciated. I dont have a basket now to do measuring and testing to see where it looks best. Once these rails are put in place i dont want to have to move them and have extra holes in my rails

thanks
Sam

Last edited:

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom, I decided to go this route with mine. It looks the cleanest and I cant seem to find real clamp on tees anywhere for a reasonable price to fit the renegade rails. I have a couple questions
- did you put anything around the treaded rod to make rod fit snugly inside the 1" gas pipe that goes around it? if not it would be rattling around.
- how did you go about measuring where to drill through the rails....it isnt in the center. are the cross bars flush with the top of the roof rail?
- do you extend the gas pipe into the inside of the rail so that it appears flush from the innner facing surface of the roof rail?
- If you are extending the gas pipe to go through to the inside of the roof rails(but not all the way through) then is the thread rod even necessary? would the gas pipe on its own be strong enough??
- also, if anyone can tell me how far to put the bars apart from on another and how far back from the front of the rails that would be much appreciated. I dont have a basket now to do measuring and testing to see where it looks best. Once these rails are put in place i dont want to have to move them and have extra holes in my rails

thanks
Sam

I realize this question is 3 months old and this thread is 2 years old, but I have the same questions? Sam did you get any answers?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a gas pipe? Tom, Do you have a closer pic like pic # 1. To me looks like a blob of something with black stuff around it and a small silver blob in the middle lol But seriously, I like the overall look.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Gas pipe i.e pipe that you use to run natural gas into your home or business
"Blob" on the end is a washer and nut
Drilled hole where there is an indent in the side rails if you look you'll see where it is front and rear
Measured pipe between side rails and added just a little extra to keep it tight when you tighten the nuts up on the outside, also had a nut on the inside
pipe does not go all the way through or even into the side rail only up to the nut on the inside of the rail
also the out side nut is a cap nut , look better
Rails and rack are long gone now since the guy I sold the setup to rolled his back in 09