Renegade ghetto rack/cross bars for 2" roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

super 7

Reaction score
I was looking for a low profile way to add cross bars to my 2" roof rails - found x terra cross bars on e-bay but they're too short so I rigged up my own (next comes a Rola or Baja Rack).
Parts = less than $40 - $10 for 6' of 1 3/8" chain link fence post, $7 for (3) 2" schedule 40 "T" (inner dia. must equal 2"), about $7 for (4) 2" to 1 3/8" sch. 40 PVC reducers and about $15 in hose clamps and paint. I put my weight on one corner and it didn't seem to budge (or crack) - roof clearance is close at about 3/4" in the middle of the bars.

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They do look great....not ghetto at all. They match well.

super 7

Reaction score
well, the idea of PVC and chainlink fence post is the ghetto part - I DID paint them with model paint and clear coat from a shaker can - not sure how well it'll hold up to the elements.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that, look pretty darn spiffy to me!!

Only one suggestion that i will make. If those hose clamps aren't the more expensive stainless steel ones, if they are just plated or chromed, then scuff them up with a 3m prep pad and prime and paint them. They will last a lot longer in the elements.

I use these hose clamps all the time for outdoor projects, they rust fast if they are the cheap ones, but some paint helps. And you can blend them in further painting them anyway.

Nice Job!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the idea of PVC and chainlink fence post is the ghetto part - I DID paint them with model paint and clear coat from a shaker can - not sure how well it'll hold up to the elements.

New pics needed after the paint job then!! :p

super 7

Reaction score
Thanks all - "factory" is the look I was going for. The clamps should be s/s (Home Depot) and the paint job was a quick one as it's getting chilly out and I'm short on time in the afternoons - but time will tell. The true test is whether they'll hold a good sized roof basket or not - will add pics when I get the basket on.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - "factory" is the look I was going for. The clamps should be s/s (Home Depot) and the paint job was a quick one as it's getting chilly out and I'm short on time in the afternoons - but time will tell. The true test is whether they'll hold a good sized roof basket or not - will add pics when I get the basket on.

They should hold it ok. Most of the weight will be on the front crossbar, the roof rails pinch in at the back end and the basket ends up sitting on the rails a bit back there, at least i know my Rola does.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the `05 Renegade with those big ol bars too. I ordered and bought the Jeep carrier basket for it, but upon installation found that I cannot park in my garage with the thing mounted! :mad: (Low garage...condo!) Of course, Jeep will not allow the return of any special order... (which that was.) :mad::mad:

So, I re-mount it every time we need it...major PITA. :mad: :eek:

Anyway, I like the idea of what you've done, and would love to find a solution that mounts closer to the roof like that. In searching around I came across this link with no pictures: http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=1541&osCsid=cb94cdda29883f39620feb0e0bd26b1a

Anybody seen these, or have a picture of them? Are they similar to what the OP did?

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you direct me to a picture of your Rola ? - I haven't yet seen what I would look like on a Liberty.

I sent you a couple links in a PM. The Rola is available on eTrailer now for $159.95 with free shipping. I have one picture in my album from the front with the basket on.

I have crossbars that go over the rails so mine sits a bit higher. If i ever get the time and money i might make something so it sits down a little lower with the rails but i'm not in any hurry as i don't have a garage and the extra height, maybe 2-3", isn't that big of a deal for me anyway.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the `05 Renegade with those big ol bars too. I ordered and bought the Jeep carrier basket for it, but upon installation found that I cannot park in my garage with the thing mounted! :mad: (Low garage...condo!) Of course, Jeep will not allow the return of any special order... (which that was.) :mad::mad:

So, I re-mount it every time we need it...major PITA. :mad: :eek:

Anyway, I like the idea of what you've done, and would love to find a solution that mounts closer to the roof like that. In searching around I came across this link with no pictures: http://jparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=1541&osCsid=cb94cdda29883f39620feb0e0bd26b1a

Anybody seen these of have a picture of them? Are they similar to what the OP did?

Your best bet would be to remove the Renny rails and sell all the stuff you have now and buy some standard rails and make some crossbars, either like the OP did here or using a similar method. Then you could put the Rola or a similar basket on there and still stay low enough to get into the garage.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the OP's design today at work. The only thing I don't like about it is the use of the PVC fittings. They're gonna break down over time with UV exposure. Then it occured to me - why not use Chain link fence fittings. 2" is a common diameter with that stuff, and that was the pole pieces he used anyway.

Check these out: http://www.hooverfence.com/pipe-fittings/kee-klamp/catalog.htm

And for the cross-braces, you could use this: http://www.hooverfence.com/vinylchainlink/vinylcoatedindustrialpipe.htm

It's Vinyl coated (I'd go with the Black color), in several diameters, and commercial grade. Those kee clamps I linked above are able to withstand 1,000's of lbs load. Check the specs pages.

I'm looking into some of those connections to possibly make my Jeep roof rack fit, and ride a little lower. (Between the side rails.) I'll probably have to "modify" the basket a little...

Last edited:

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, here's a pic of my rig with the Mopar rack installed. I had to remove my spare to tow our camping trailer...

And another pic, where you can really see how high the Mopar/Jeep rack sits off the roof!

:)

Last edited:

super 7

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about it is the use of the PVC fittings. They're gonna break down over time with UV exposure.

Nice find - I would much prefer those brackets and pipes - if the PVC fails, I'll have to look into it more. Seems the narrowest pipe is 1 5/8" (I used 1 3/8"). The brackets are good - looks like it would cost around $150 plus shipping for a post and 4 brackets but it would be strong and be low profile/maintenance.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, did you have to cut those "T" fittings to fit around your factory roof rails? If so, how? Sawzall?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it vary good job looks great got to do someting like this on my rig

Latest posts

Members online