Remove the driveshaft in my 2005 Liberty 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtcoatie

Reaction score
I want to tow my Liberty, but have been told I cannot without removing the driveshaft. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I am very mechanically inclined, so I am not afraid to do it, I just want to get more information from someone that has done this before....

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to be flat towing it, or will just the front end be up on a dolly?

Also, needle bearings will make for a painfull awakening if you arent familiar with them.

gtcoatie

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Are you going to be flat towing it, or will just the front end be up on a dolly?

Also, needle bearings will make for a painfull awakening if you arent familiar with them.

I will be towing it all 4 wheel down. That is the set up that I got with the RV. I bought the baseplate for the Jeep thinking it was towable based on what I was told by others, but now I am not so sure....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't you just put both selec-trac and transmission into N and tow it?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

That's what I'm thinking. I've never heard of anyone detatching or removing the driveshaft to pull it behind a RV or otherwise.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
hyedipin said:

That's what I'm thinking. I've never heard of anyone detatching or removing the driveshaft to pull it behind a RV or otherwise.

Its actually pretty common when towing a 4x4 or rear wheel drive vehicle.

The idea is to prevent the additional wear and resistance of spinning the entire drive system on the towed vehicle. I think there is also a potential for damage somewhere along the line there.

OP said:

Have you googled this?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I would rent a flatbed or one of those towers, like they tow the boats, and haul it up on it.

Although, I heard tow trucks in new york do something pretty quick and disable all brakes and tow the damn car in a minute.. I don't understand how they do that.

gtcoatie

Reaction score
Trodo said:
hyedipin said:

The difference in mine, and most everyone else's here, is mine is a 2 wheel drive. I bought for my daughter a year before I bought the Moho, so I didn't even consider it. I have the Liberty, an explorer and a 2500HD pickup, so I figure the Liberty was the best vehicle to tow.....

I am simply trying to figure out the best way to do it. I won't tow often. At some point, I will buy the drive shaft disconnect from Remco, but not at this time.....