Regear question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would need special tools and the know-how. I just took mone to 4WP shop.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fairly well equipped tools/knowledge/will power wise and this is one of the few jobs that has me asking the same question.

I have helped others do them on larger truck axles, but some years ago now.

Getting the pinion depth and gear mesh just right is every bit as challenging as getting an engines timing system right after a rebuild, maybe even more so because they cannot just mark everything for guides, it is all about the minute clearances between the teeth. There is a process and you can follow it step by step, and still easily mess things up because you don't know everything to look out for, or have the Jeep special tool #whatever, or don't know the trick(s) to make it easy, and of course they don't list every single tiny detail in the manuals.

So to answer your question......yes, if you have enough confidence and do enough research you can do it, or not. It's really up to you. last shop I had quote the work for me came in just shy of $2k.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can a regear be done at home or is this a professional job

Find a 4 cylinder gasser and steal or borrow the front and rear diffs from it !
Easy to do, have done a bunch of them this way

But , I would take it to a shop that does regears
Here is why,
if you do not have the tools needed
if you have never done it before
if you think you just may end up screwing up something
take it to a shop
Back when I did several a month sure no issues, but that was back in the 70s-80s
so now if I need gears installed I take it to someone who does it all the time
there is a trick to doing them and learning on the job doing gears is not a good choice unless you have a very knowledgeable person right beside of you all the way. Plus if they screw it up, well it is their fault, if you do, you maybe buying another diff and gears
of course front diff has to come clear out , so many people do not like to do that although it is super simple ( if you know the tricks ) LOL

and as always , " If you have to ask,.......take it to someone who knows" And YouTube is not where ya go

Brawkzlit

Reaction score
thank you guys, I know now that I don't have the knowledge to do this haha

Latest posts

Members online