Regear question

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Brawkzlit, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Brawkzlit

Brawkzlit New Member

Can a regear be done at home or is this a professional job

2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Full Access Member

you would need special tools and the know-how. I just took mone to 4WP shop.

3. mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp Full Access Member

I am fairly well equipped tools/knowledge/will power wise and this is one of the few jobs that has me asking the same question.

I have helped others do them on larger truck axles, but some years ago now.

Getting the pinion depth and gear mesh just right is every bit as challenging as getting an engines timing system right after a rebuild, maybe even more so because they cannot just mark everything for guides, it is all about the minute clearances between the teeth. There is a process and you can follow it step by step, and still easily mess things up because you don't know everything to look out for, or have the Jeep special tool #whatever, or don't know the trick(s) to make it easy, and of course they don't list every single tiny detail in the manuals.

So to answer your question......yes, if you have enough confidence and do enough research you can do it, or not. It's really up to you. last shop I had quote the work for me came in just shy of $2k.

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Find a 4 cylinder gasser and steal or borrow the front and rear diffs from it !
    Easy to do, have done a bunch of them this way

But , I would take it to a shop that does regears
    Here is why,
    if you do not have the tools needed
    if you have never done it before
    if you think you just may end up screwing up something
    take it to a shop
    Back when I did several a month sure no issues, but that was back in the 70s-80s
    so now if I need gears installed I take it to someone who does it all the time
    there is a trick to doing them and learning on the job doing gears is not a good choice unless you have a very knowledgeable person right beside of you all the way. Plus if they screw it up, well it is their fault, if you do, you maybe buying another diff and gears
    of course front diff has to come clear out , so many people do not like to do that although it is super simple ( if you know the tricks ) LOL

and as always , " If you have to ask,.......take it to someone who knows" And YouTube is not where ya go

LibertyTC likes this.
  5. Brawkzlit

Brawkzlit New Member

thank you guys, I know now that I don't have the knowledge to do this haha