Recommendations for 17" wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is yet another tire thread. Believe me, I tried to hash it all out using the search function here and reading copious amounts of tire information elsewhere. No luck.

My KJ is an '06 limited, and I need to replace the tires pronto. I'm not lifted (yet), and I'm on the stock 17" wheels. There are a few good choices available in stock size, but they're all p-metric. I'm wanting a good set of a/t's along the lines of the cooper discoverer or hankook dynapro, but I'd prefer an LT tire. Anyone know of a decent a/t LT in 235/65r17, or close enough to fit without rubbing (my suspension is sagged, but not very much - wish I remembered the hub to fender measurement, but I don't)?

Another thing I've considered is getting a set of winter tires for the 17's, thus giving me a few months to find a good deal on some 16" wheels and giving myself a better selection come spring. Thoughts on this approach?

I don't wheel for the sake of wheeling, and this KJ is my dd when I can't use the bike, but I like being prepared for the worst and not being tied to the pavement. Is an LT even the best fit for me, or am I making too much of the issue?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah this is yet another tire thread. Believe me, I tried to hash it all out using the search function here and reading copious amounts of tire information elsewhere. No luck.

My KJ is an '06 limited, and I need to replace the tires pronto. I'm not lifted (yet), and I'm on the stock 17" wheels. There are a few good choices available in stock size, but they're all p-metric. I'm wanting a good set of a/t's along the lines of the cooper discoverer or hankook dynapro, but I'd prefer an LT tire. Anyone know of a decent a/t LT in 235/65r17, or close enough to fit without rubbing (my suspension is sagged, but not very much - wish I remembered the hub to fender measurement, but I don't)?

Another thing I've considered is getting a set of winter tires for the 17's, thus giving me a few months to find a good deal on some 16" wheels and giving myself a better selection come spring. Thoughts on this approach?

I don't wheel for the sake of wheeling, and this KJ is my dd when I can't use the bike, but I like being prepared for the worst and not being tied to the pavement. Is an LT even the best fit for me, or am I making too much of the issue?
I'd think this route,( highlighted) very hard to find AT type tires in that size
Find some 16s and if you're going to lift do it all at the same time

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think you need an LT tire. You could go 245/65/17 stock, might get a bit of rubbing but not enough to worry about. There's a few good tires in that size. (Nitto Terra Grapplers, Destination ATs, there's more too) When you lift it, you can go 245/70/17, I did and there's countless tire choices.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1

I always prefer to have spare sets of purposed tires for a vehicle. Maybe get some very affordable 17" (P-series) winter tires for now, and offroad tires/wheels later.

At first I installed a spacer lift so I could get new LT tires on the stock 16" rims. Then I got 15" wheels and winter/rain tires off a 80's Dodge parts truck. I spent maybe $1500 on the lift and two sets of tires.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think you need an LT tire. You could go 245/65/17 stock, might get a bit of rubbing but not enough to worry about. There's a few good tires in that size. (Nitto Terra Grapplers, Destination ATs, there's more too) When you lift it, you can go 245/70/17, I did and there's countless tire choices.

Would the OME lift look bad with only 245/65-17's? Just curious, as I have to get tires soon, before I do a lift

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it would look fine. Here's how mine looked with 235/65/17s. Ran it this way for 5 months.
You must be registered for see images attach