Recommend Me Some Fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
plus three on the jack and stands. a little more work to get it up :icon_lol: but I feel they are more versatile( brake jobs, suspension, tire rotaions,etc)

Bert

Plus four, jack stands are way more versatile. However, nothing like ramps for a simple lube and oil change.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thing is, I used to have both. It's a long story, but they ended up disappearing under mysterious circumstances. :favorites68:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After my lift no jacking needed during a lube change ;)

Yes sir same here, Changing oil, greasing ball joints, swapping out diff fluids, transfer case, transmission, secret project underneath, all done without any jack or ramps :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thing is, I used to have both. It's a long story, but they ended up disappearing under mysterious circumstances. :favorites68:

I have had quite a few tools over the years end up in the same place I think....:icon_lol:
But also wanted to add like anything else, one is not enough so i have two jacks, 4 jackstands so head out and buy some tonight!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had quite a few tools over the years end up in the same place I think....:icon_lol:
But also wanted to add like anything else, one is not enough so i have two jacks, 4 jackstands so head out and buy some tonight!

Glad I'm not the only one. My wife thinks I'm a hoarder. :shrug:

I've even got two sets of ramps, very sturdy ones. Two sets are sort of neat if you've got to do just fluids (front and back) on a lower AWD/4WD vehicle. Use both sets like this for my Subaru and my KJ since it isn't lifted yet.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine left Hagerstown, MD this morning...I'm going to say delivery is Wednesday....

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question: Teflon tape on the fill and drain plugs or not? Got the front end drained and ready to refill.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 sets of ramps, 8 jackstands, an air/hydraulic bottle jack and a floor jack.

And I use them all...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the front end done. It was really weird. The fluid that came out was bright red and when I went to replace it I couldn't get any more in. Then I got a transmission code pop up and the Jeep wouldn't move. I went in to have a sandwich while I thought things over. It was baloney, just like I'm feeding you.

(Hey, nobody is going to fall for an April Fool eleven days from now, so I thought I'd get one in early.) :happy175:

No leaks! The old oil didn't look horrible but it was pretty black. Found a very straight stretch of road and kicked in the 4WD to see what happened. Nothing unusual, so I guess it worked. I wish there was a sensor or something to reassure me, though. Someday I'm going to get a good temperature probe, then drive around and see if it seems super hot, though I don't know what the definition of "super hot" would be.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I tried to save a few bucks at Harbor Freight and bought the 3-Ton jack stands. As soon as I took them out of the box I realized they weren't going to do it and went back and exchanged them for the 6-Ton set, which is about 7" higher. (~16" vs 23") This put me about an hour behind schedule. I was afraid it would get dark on me if I ran into trouble so I'm planning on doing the back end tomorrow if it's not too cold. I have had a bad cold for three full weeks now and still need to pace myself.

One final note: It took about six ounces more oil than I expected. I still had a slight tilt on the Jeep due to my catty-cornered parking job (sloping driveway and the street is on a hill). The fill plug was on the low end, probably an inch lower than the drivers side, so I don't think I overfilled it. I'm guessing that a couple ounces seeped out before I realized that it was full and there was probably a few ounces trapped in my little pump. The pump worked like a champ, though I got my forearm workout in getting the oil in there. I pumped it straight out of the gallon jug which I had wedged in a cardboard box with a couple of bricks so I wouldn't accidentally tip it over. I don't see any way to clean the pump out real good so I plan to pop for another $7 and get a second one for the ATF +4 when I do the Power Steering and Transfer Case.

So far, so good. :D

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a very straight stretch of road and kicked in the 4WD to see what happened. Nothing unusual, so I guess it worked. I wish there was a sensor or something to reassure me, though.

Good job! I would have been surprised if something different happened too. Everything in the front axle, back to and including the front driveshaft, is spinning whether in 2wd or 4wd. But maybe you gnu that. ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I know it spins, but figured there would be a difference between rolling along with the rest of the gang and actually having power put to it.