Rear wheels lock up. ($$$$$$)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malcolm Schweizer

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2006 Liberty with only 8900 miles, and yes that is only eight thousand nine hundred miles. It doesn't get much use. Recently at a light the rear brakes locked up, or I hope it was the brakes. I put a fault reader on it and it said ABS sensor rear wheel. I bought one but did not yet put it in. I cleared the codes and never had the problem again, so I figured it was a dirty sensor.

Well now that I am out of town for the week, my wife tells me that it just happened to her. Now I am worried that it is not brakes, but maybe the rearend locking up. Any thoughts or anyone had this experience?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost 8 years old and 8900 miles,yeah your going to have alot of issues.Could very well be a locked up calipher from sludge in the brake system from lack of use and/or corrosion on the mechanical brake parts(slide pins and such).

Make sure you change all your fluids,yep all the fluids,since they do have a shelf life in terms of years even if you have not driven the mileage.That goes for the t-stat and all rubber hoses which suffer more from lack of use then being abused.Your tires should be changed also,getting at the end of there life in terms of time.Also expect seals and gaskets to start leaking from lack of use.

Malcolm Schweizer

Reaction score
All new brakes about 6 months ago, as well as tires. Fluids changed regularly regardless of mileage for the exact reasons you mentioned. I am going to check the calipers when I get home. Just thought I would field for possible known issues. I live on a gravel road. Hoping a piece of gravel got in the shoe and worked itself out.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean the brake fluid was bleed and changed (like Tjkj said)) still could be a bad caliper if the hardware is good. Seen alot of calipers act up after a brake job has been done.

Malcolm Schweizer

Reaction score
Does that mean the brake fluid was bleed and changed (like Tjkj said)) still could be a bad caliper if the hardware is good. Seen alot of calipers act up after a brake job has been done.

I hope you are right. I did bleed the lines on both Jeeps when I did the last job... Properly with a professional bleeder for ABS. I am hoping it is the brakes and not a differential. I'll know this weekend. Still traveling right now.