Rear wheels hopping still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gedster

Reaction score
Hi, new here.

Bought a kj 07 2.8 crd limited auto a few months ago and played around with the 4wd system. I know that 4pt and 4lo arent meant to be used on dry tarmac etc but 4ft is ok. As i shifted it its all fine but the wheels satrted binding . I took it back to the garage where i bought it and they replaced the transfer case but it’s still wheel hopping in the rear in 2wd when i shift back. Its like a welded diff feeling. They checked the diffs etc and seem all fine? Can anyone help?
Also im in Burton on trent, any jeep experts around?

Gedster

Reaction score
What do you mean belt seperations? And yes all tyres are the same

Gedster

Reaction score
No the tyres are fairly new , just a strange feeling. Sometimes its fine sometimes it binds.. well i think it does

The Squid

Reaction score
Check the U joint and pinion bearing. Also see if there are any balance weights missing from the drive line. $0.02.

Gedster

Reaction score
Check the U joint and pinion bearing. Also see if there are any balance weights missing from the drive line. $0.02.
Im not much of a mechanic, would a garage charge a lot for that? Do you think its the best solution to look at first?

The Squid

Reaction score
Shouldn’t, it is pretty easy to check. Safely Slide under the JEEP and manually twist the driveline back and forth, if it moves more than a tick back and forth, it could be your problem. If the U joints are bad, it will be very obvious.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
UJOINTs are hard to tell if bad
one way is to run it down the road for 15-20 minutes then put you hand near the front and rear ujoint, it will be hot when bad

JMichael2006

Reaction score
Hi, new here.

Bought a kj 07 2.8 crd limited auto a few months ago and played around with the 4wd system. I know that 4pt and 4lo arent meant to be used on dry tarmac etc but 4ft is ok. As i shifted it its all fine but the wheels satrted binding . I took it back to the garage where i bought it and they replaced the transfer case but it’s still wheel hopping in the rear in 2wd when i shift back. Its like a welded diff feeling. They checked the diffs etc and seem all fine? Can anyone help?
Also im in Burton on trent, any jeep experts around?
When you shift out of 4X the t-case doesn't release until you back up some in a straight line then coast to unlock it. It is because of the way the front axle system is set up. It keeps the case engaged until released of load. Any engagement on dry pavement can cause the binding effect, it is the influence of the front axle on the diff in the t-case. It is normal.

Gedster

Reaction score
When you shift out of 4X the t-case doesn't release until you back up some in a straight line then coast to unlock it. It is because of the way the front axle system is set up. It keeps the case engaged until released of load. Any engagement on dry pavement can cause the binding effect, it is the influence of the front axle on the diff in the t-case. It is normal.
But when i shift back to 2wd it sometimes feels like the rear are locked up and when i drive round tight bends i can feel and hear the wheels screeching on the tarmac , but ill try that from now. Just thought mine has an issue

Latest posts

Members online