Rear glass latch/sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a square access panel on the tailgate panel. After that it should be self-explanitory

I saw that square access panel, and started prying it open last night...I think I broke the clip piece. It doesn't stay flush anymore where I was prying... :(

That's why I was wondering how to remove the paneling without doing further damage...perhaps I was too heavy handed, but I tried to be careful! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

brettsnowyjeep

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my KJ so I pulled off the tailgate cover so I could get a better look at the locking mechanism.
When you're looking at the locking mechanism from inside the tailgate cover side you will see 2 wiring plugs attached. The one on the left only controls the letting go of the liftglass.
The one on the right plugs directly into the microswitch/sensor that is causing the interior lights to stay on and glass open to display on the dash. Disconnect the plug and underneath where you disconnected it you will see a T15 screw holding the microswitch/sensor to the whole locking mechanism. Undo the screw and you can now replace the microswitch.
I only disabled my switch for the moment by removing the little blue rubber knob which was already half hanging off.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my KJ so I pulled off the tailgate cover so I could get a better look at the locking mechanism.
When you're looking at the locking mechanism from inside the tailgate cover side you will see 2 wiring plugs attached. The one on the left only controls the letting go of the liftglass.
The one on the right plugs directly into the microswitch/sensor that is causing the interior lights to stay on and glass open to display on the dash. Disconnect the plug and underneath where you disconnected it you will see a T15 screw holding the microswitch/sensor to the whole locking mechanism. Undo the screw and you can now replace the microswitch.
I only disabled my switch for the moment by removing the little blue rubber knob which was already half hanging off.

After five pages of answers about hot to solve the symptoms someone comes up with the cure; thanks brettsnowyjeep!

Our 04's alarm went off last night at 3AM and because Montreal is pretty densely populated we awoke to the police banging on our door whilst holding back a lynch mob baying for our blood.

Of course there is no way to bypass the alarm (IIRC) so we just have to manually lock it until I can fix it.