Rear glass latch/sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... After reading this thread today and then running and errand i played with this on my 03'. I can't find anyway to turn off the dome lights from the MFS. The only thing that it does is adjust the brightness of the dash lights, and if i go to the first click that turns the dome lights on, but it doesnt go past that. If i turn it all the way down it just shuts off the dash lights, dome lights still come on with doors or glass.

I don't see anyway to defeat the dome lights on my 03.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all fine and good, but if it's dark out, it'll make all the dome lights come on. :(

Actually, this was what first alerted me to the problem. One night I noticed the dome lights did not turn off when I locked the car with the button on the key - the glass sensor just failed on me out of the blue.

I solved the problem by pushing in the cargo bay light fixture several times until it turned off. In my `05 Renegade KJ, the entire light fixture also acts as the switch - you just push it in a little.

If this happens to you again, try that - it worked for me. :)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm... After reading this thread today and then running and errand i played with this on my 03'. I can't find anyway to turn off the dome lights from the MFS. The only thing that it does is adjust the brightness of the dash lights, and if i go to the first click that turns the dome lights on, but it doesnt go past that. If i turn it all the way down it just shuts off the dash lights, dome lights still come on with doors or glass.

Turn the brightness thingy as far back as it will go. it is one notch further from fully dark.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty... I will have to check that on the switch the next time i go somewhere... Just laying around suffering from a cold so far this week. (blarg)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score

Exactly what mine does.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have the last notch going backwards on your turn signal stalk?

it keeps the lights off despite whatever is open being open

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the rear dome light near the glass is one that CAN be turned off by pressing on it. At least in my 03.

Sorry to hijack the original thread of the latch issue.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the rear dome light near the glass is one that CAN be turned off by pressing on it. At least in my 03.

Sorry to hijack the original thread of the latch issue.

Yeah, this is what I was suggesting, too. That is what I did to keep the lights off while driving/parked.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thats not how it works in my 03', i mean pushing the rear light does turn it on, but if its already on from a door being open and i tap the light that just switches it to permanent on once the door is closed.

How are you guys tapping the light to shut it off with the rear glass open?? I don't understand that.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have the last notch going backwards on your turn signal stalk?

it keeps the lights off despite whatever is open being open

Just went out and checked mine now that its dark out so its easier to tell if it did anything, and yep TBJ it works, i have a rearward click and that shuts off the dome lights. Didn't even know it did that. I will say one thing its an easy feature to miss for one reason, obviously the owner before me never flipped it back, it was a stiff click back into that position the first time like a new switch that has never been used, then after working it back and forth a couple times it switches back as easy as it does forward to turn them on.

Learn something new every day... I guess i should sit down and RTFM some day.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thats not how it works in my 03', i mean pushing the rear light does turn it on, but if its already on from a door being open and i tap the light that just switches it to permanent on once the door is closed.

How are you guys tapping the light to shut it off with the rear glass open?? I don't understand that.

Maybe it's a model year thing, but it's always worked on my `05 Rene. I've used that switch often when camping to gain access to the cargo area without attracting too many moths/bugs into the vehicle. Just give it two quick clicks in a row, and the light stays off.

IIRC, the dome light that is centered over the back seat does the same...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dome light over the back seats on 02-4s

Wish there was....

I have been watching the junk yards for an 02-04 KJ, i want to steal the cargo light and its mount to make a center row light out of it. It will be a PITA to drop the headliner down enough to get up under it but it would be nice.

Unless someone else has a better suggestion?

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just to update...

I sprayed the latch area out with compressed air, then sprayed the visible electrical connections with electrical contact cleaner, and then srayed the latch assembly with WD40 - no improvement. :(

The next step would be to remove the tailgate plastic panel and get in there and unplug the electrical connections and spray them out with contact cleaner, etc. Not sure how to remove the plastic interior panels without damaging them though - any instructions for that anywhere? :confused:

Thanks! :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole inner trim panel on the tailgate comes off pretty easy, i've had mine partially off to look in there when i hear something rattling, turned out to be a clip piece that fell into the bottom. Pull up the top edge along the weatherstripping and the clips will pop out, then just work your way around, takes a few minutes to pop the whole thing off.

Removing the little access panel gets you to the latch assembly for the tailgate, the latch and switch for the glass is at the top middle of the tailgate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.