Rear glass latch/sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately my rear glass sensor does not recognize that the glass is closed. The latch still holds, and the glass stays put, but the sensor beeps at me when I shift into drive, and I cannot use my rear glass windshield wiper, as the Libby thinks the glass is open...

Is this a common problem? Any cheap fixes?

I took it in to my mechanic, who suggested to replace the entire assembly - would be about $300US for parts/labor/tax. :eek:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Lately my rear glass sensor does not recognize that the glass is closed. The latch still holds, and the glass stays put, but the sensor beeps at me when I shift into drive, and I cannot use my rear glass windshield wiper, as the Libby thinks the glass is open...

I took it in to my mechanic, who suggested to replace the entire assembly - would be about $300US for parts/labor/tax. :eek:
Don't use rear wiper,send me 200us problem solved.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you lubricate the assembly yet? Maybe the sensor is somehow just sticking. I'd try some WD-40 as a lube/solvent first, go from there.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you lubricate the assembly yet? Maybe the sensor is somehow just sticking. I'd try some WD-40 as a lube/solvent first, go from there.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just figured it was electrical, since the glass does latch and hold. I guess you're saying that the sensor might have a mechanical component?

It's worth a try, huh!?! ;)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ does that now and then... but I haven't done anything to correct the problem yet.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
That's all fine and good, but if it's dark out, it'll make all the dome lights come on. :(

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That's all fine and good, but if it's dark out, it'll make all the dome lights come on. :(

*sigh* (insert degrading women/cars remark here:D)

turn off your dome lights at the turn signal doohickey.
Ya know, the thing ya don't use:D

nana.gif <smiley to make sure everybody knows ThunderbirdJunkie memes no harm

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just figured it was electrical, since the glass does latch and hold. I guess you're saying that the sensor might have a mechanical component?

It's worth a try, huh!?! ;)

I am thinking "electro-mechanical". I've been looking for a diagram, but can't find one. I might have one home on an old FSM CD that someone sent me a long time ago.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
*sigh* (insert degrading women/cars remark here:D)

turn off your dome lights at the turn signal doohickey.
Ya know, the thing ya don't use:D

nana.gif <smiley to make sure everybody knows ThunderbirdJunkie memes no harm

<forgoing the typical snide female response here> :D

Turning the dome light off at the turn signal stalk doesn't work on my KJ if it thinks the rear glass is open. There is no effect. Tried it. :p It's like trying to turn the dome lights off when the drivers door is open... doesn't happen. :(

It happens so rarely with mine that I don't even bother with it... most of the time only when in off-road scenarios. Will have to try the WD-40 approach.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?
ThunderbirdJunkie can turn off the dome lights via the MF switch with the back glass opened no problemo. Perhaps you also need a multifunction switch?

Agreed, I can turn them off if I were so inclined. i've driven a short distance with the glass open.

Latest posts

Members online