Rear flip-up window rust already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed a little bubbling about the rear flip-up glass on my 06, and thought it seemed a little early for that to start but didn't really mind it, but then it started to spread like crazy! It now is bubbling along the entire seem from glass hinge to hinge, and some spots are coming out about one inch from the body seam... I checked my sisters 03, (Mine has lived in OH all its live, and hers has been OH for 3 years, and PA before) and hers is spotless...

I have to say I am shocked at how bad this already this after only 5.5 years...

I will post some pics tomorrow, but I guess I will need to sand it down and prime and paint, just with Duplicolor color-match spray, before winter...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing too... I plan to attend to it after our last offroad trip about mid-October. Then I'll tend to the rust and do a full detail.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The third brake light seals suck, especially if one of the rectangular retainers pulls loose that the screws go into

if the seal isn't.. sealing.. water is able to make it's way in all sorts of nooks and crannies, including dripping through the vent in the cargo area

may be where the rust is coming from, it's rusting from the inside out

run a bead of epoxy around the white plastic retainers, let it cure, then run a bead of black RTV around the 3rd brake light seal (after putting in a new bulb :) and screw that sucker back on..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow good point ! Maybe extra Rtv would not hurt!
Luckily my seam around hatch still looks good.Removed the 3rd brake light two days ago for its annual inspection and waxing. Lots of grime and dirt collects around in there.
When I first removed the brake light I had to darn near peal it off, so I know my seal is still good.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If somoene takes theirs apart can you post pics of what mods you guys are making there. I understand basics but just so its clear and paints an accurage picture. Post pics..

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine apart today to put the LED bulb I got. And noticed it had dug through the touch up but not the primer..

the LED I got was only 1.2Watt so I ordered the 3.5Watt which gives off effective light (20watt) brighter than stock bulb (18watt) .. So I will have to take it off again when the brighter bulb arrives.

But my fix is so simple it is almost stupid.. But I am going to make a gasket for it with electrical tape. If you clean the pocket area, you will still see the line the lense is hitting the paint. SO use the electrical tape as your gasket. Since its sticky on one side, just stick to jeep. When I do it I will take pictures..

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 KJ did the exact same thing and lived in PA until the day I traded it in. Right across the seam on the inside between the flipper latches, also bubbled beside the one on the left. Weird thing was that I noticed this happening JUST outside of the warranty period. Probably planned! Bastids! lol It also eventually happened inside the doors, right at the bottom on the inside, and eventually wore its way to the outside but probably in year 8 or 9. And mine sits out all year.

I can tell you that my new KK has already got several coats of wax on said inside seams and around the flippers lol. I sure as hell hope this one holds up better than the body did on the last one. That engine still drove like a champ though with 135,500 on it.