Rear end knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not gone completly but lessened. Still the same on the driveway though. It's never guaranteed even on rough road that you will hear it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the knock is all but gone and replaced by this kinda rattle that seems to be getting worse. Again only heard on rough road seems to be under the front left seat location wise. Cv on the property shaft maybe?? It's there in 2wd and fulltine .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the knock is all but gone and replaced by this kinda rattle that seems to be getting worse. Again only heard on rough road seems to be under the front left seat location wise. Cv on the property shaft maybe?? It's there in 2wd and fulltine .

That rattle could be the CV on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Your description of the location is exactly where that CV joint is - right below the front left seat :waytogo:

Bob

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thoughts the cv on the difference end is only a few months old will check it out tday

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have checked out the prop shaft there is quite alot of free play in the shaft prob at least 3/4 of an inch whether that is in the transfer or the cv not sure. It does also make a rattle and a metallic ding when moved . New cv on order

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have checked out the prop shaft there is quite alot of free play in the shaft prob at least 3/4 of an inch whether that is in the transfer or the cv not sure. It does also make a rattle and a metallic ding when moved . New cv on order

Good call - I think you've found the rattle source :waytogo:

Bob

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well finally got the new CV for the prop shaft but I somehow don't think this was the problem at least not totally. Had the shaft out for a couple of days and the rattle is still there maybe not as bad but still there. Fitted the cv this morning so will see haven't driven it yet. The noise is kinda like a loose bolt allowing something to bounce on rough road and the knock in the rear is still there. I've had both LCA'S out rubbers are all ok. The bushes in the USA appear to be ok and have obviously been a fairly recent fit as they are quite clean and their poly not rubber. So I guess it only leaves the ball joint. Any way to check this without removing the whole USA??

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said the shocks were / are new
did the shocks come with a metal sleeve inside the bushings on both ends?

many vehicles with our rear style setup the upper shock bolt acts as the sleeve, inside the bushing, ours specifically, does not and requires there to be , for all intents and purposes, a piece of tubing inside the upper bushing for the upper shock bolt to go through otherwise the bolt will eat away the bushing, loosening it and causing it to knock about

just an idea or something to check, if you know for sure the upper bushings on the shocks were sleeved, check and make sure the upper bolts are tight

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep they have the sleeve they are all tight this was one of the 1st things I checked. Shocks have only done about 5000 km