Rear Drum Brakes-HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mshack

Reaction score
Short story,
Been fighting these drum brakes on my 02.
Big girl is hard to stop. Did complete rear brakes myself. New drums, shoes & internal springs, clips, adjusters. Did not do wheel cylinders as there were no leaks.

So...my work sucked and didn't have the knowledge needed I guess. Next day by 3pm, huge chatter. So I take it to local shop.
Drums needed turned and shoes were not adjusted properly. Okay. Get it back.

They work GREAT!

UNTIL the other day. Hear a squeaky nose. No time to diagnose...boss uses me EVERYDAY!
I use this big girl to deliver mail daily.

I take her back to shop. The parking brake strut fell off. Destroyed.
Looking for the part 5066153aa. NOWHERE to found local?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Is that what you need ? Junk yard or someone scrapping one out
Of course only found on 02s , maybe XJs as well later models

Mshack

Reaction score

Mshack

Reaction score
And the above question with the part number? I believe that is the part number.

Mshack

Reaction score
Really, was wondering, there has to be a cross reference for this part to other vehicles. Don't want to run into THIS problem again. Do I will order or obtain a few more for problems down the road.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you will need to try and find some of the springs on the ends as well
Problem with finding a crossover the same is they are or will be gone as well
Unless someone has some NOS in their part bin somewhere
Try car-parts.com junk yard somewhere should have one or so

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^ correct
I have a 99 XJ rear will have to check it once the snow leaves , it's in an out building that is a chore to get to at times
Reason its a great place for spare parts

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Mopar 5066153AA​

STRUT-Parking Brake
2002 Jeep Liberty 5066153AA

• Part Description
    STRUT Parking Brake
  • Manufacturer
    Mopar
I never heard it called that before ( and that is with me doing brake work full time for 5 years ) but that is what it says on all sites I have looked at
So,.....??

Mshack

Reaction score
Well...had the shop order it. $120. Ridiculous!
Gonna be at least Monday b4 it gets to the shop.

Gonna learn a bunch of 8.25 diff info and jus certain this part crosses over to other drum brakes.

Jus upsetting that it's that hard to find!

Mshack

Reaction score
Oh. And check this out.
Left side shoes already worn out. So it was time anyways.
Stopped and looked at it yesterday.
Post office has me working tho. Putting me in a vehicle from another office (LLV) and having me run small sections of different routes to help others.

Not ALL wages are lost due to this. Relieved, I am.

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
try carparts.com as they were the only site on the web that had the Moog front strut mounts for my 02 Sport. Many sites offered them, I ordered only to get a cancellation notice after the money was drafted from my account. Ordered mine on Tues and it was delivered yesterday! Great site !

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score

Mopar 5066153AA​

STRUT-Parking Brake
2002 Jeep Liberty 5066153AA

• Part Description
    STRUT Parking Brake
  • Manufacturer
    Mopar
I never heard it called that before ( and that is with me doing brake work full time for 5 years ) but that is what it says on all sites I have looked at
So,.....??
Transfer-bar, equalizer... double leading shoe adjustable force equalizing transfer bar. That'd be the front drum brake on my '71 Norton which is actually different than the Liberty. I remember transfer-bar because forces are applied at the ***** cylinder and transferred to the sides, and the drum.

My experience is an arcane hodgepodge of British bikes and '70s foreign cars. Opel, Fiat, Simca, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, Bristol, Lancia, Citroen, Renault, MG, Triumph, VW, Audi, Volvo, Skoda, and maybe an NSU. Anything a GI could buy cheap, generally used up and worn out. And some heavy equipment. They all break the same way. I'm comfortable with transfer bar. "Strut" seems like it should be operating in a verticle plane, like a prop, or a spinner?...

Jeep has some odd renaming and the acronymitization of the non-standard nomenclature adds to the confusion. Take the CAC for example; Charge Air Cooler, or "intercooler" to the rest of the world. That's a CRD example without much 3.7 relevance but it's all I can think of.

$120.00 Is insane for a little part like that! Seems like a bit like that would be in a more complete brake hardware kit that cost $10.00 more.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Transfer-bar, equalizer... double leading shoe adjustable force equalizing transfer bar. That'd be the front drum brake on my '71 Norton which is actually different than the Liberty. I remember transfer-bar because forces are applied at the ***** cylinder and transferred to the sides, and the drum.

My experience is an arcane hodgepodge of British bikes and '70s foreign cars. Opel, Fiat, Simca, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, Bristol, Lancia, Citroen, Renault, MG, Triumph, VW, Audi, Volvo, Skoda, and maybe an NSU. Anything a GI could buy cheap, generally used up and worn out. And some heavy equipment. They all break the same way. I'm comfortable with transfer bar. "Strut" seems like it should be operating in a verticle plane, like a prop, or a spinner?...

Jeep has some odd renaming and the acronymitization of the non-standard nomenclature adds to the confusion. Take the CAC for example; Charge Air Cooler, or "intercooler" to the rest of the world. That's a CRD example without much 3.7 relevance but it's all I can think of.

$120.00 Is insane for a little part like that! Seems like a bit like that would be in a more complete brake hardware kit that cost $10.00 more.
Totally agree
Although I have never owned any type of foreign named vehicles or bikes worked on plenty where the names totally confused me at times trying to order parts
and yes 120 is crazy to say the least

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My first three Italian words were "¿Dove' Opel Servitzio?" looking for parts. A helpfull Italian would wave his hand and point here and there and jabber on in fluent Italian. Trick was to follow the first couple of finger points and practice my fluency on other helpfull Italians until I got there. I learned a lot of Italian, and how to wave my hands, in parts stores and junk yards. A good fun era to spin a wrench in.

Mshack

Reaction score
So doing a lil research and there are other 8.25s...plenty...to cross reference. Gonna delv deeper but looks like I'm headed down the right road. Dakota looks like a strong possibility.

The difference is spine count 27 vs 29

Latest posts

Members online