Rear Drum Brakes-HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So doing a lil research and there are other 8.25s...plenty...to cross reference. Gonna delv deeper but looks like I'm headed down the right road. Dakota looks like a strong possibility.

The difference is spine count 27 vs 29
Like I mentioned before XJs would be the easiest to find ( up to 99 Cherokees )
Spline count should not make any difference at all
Ours have 29 spline of course

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Might be simpler to find somebody with a plasma torch, grinder, hammer, and vise. It's just a stamped part with a bend in it.

I'd look for similar jeep/chrysler vehicles of the same era and brake drum diameter for crossovers. Other vehicles that use the same brake shoes could be good candidates for crossover parts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be simpler to find somebody with a plasma torch, grinder, hammer, and vise. It's just a stamped part with a bend in it.

I'd look for similar jeep/chrysler vehicles of the same era and brake drum diameter for crossovers. Other vehicles that use the same brake shoes could be good candidates for crossover parts.
Be the easiest and best way to go
cheaper
easily available

Mshack

Reaction score
The bar doesn't have the bend in it like the above photo.
And yes...fixing this is way simpler than a swap to disc brakes.
My 2 problems are:

1. Wore a set of shoes out in 10weeks.
A. Maybe not adjusted properly?
B. Maybe not a quality set of shoes?

2. Braking distance lacks.
A. From A and B above.

I jus think it could stop a whole lot better than it does now. Wait. or did?

Maybe something else is wrong and it's not using the front discs like it should.
It's been a rough 3 months and she jus needs some time and attention. Good thing is, she made it through peak season and didn't let me down 1 time.
Tough for a lot of other mail carriers to say.

DHBirren2

Reaction score
By this time I would be looking at my local you-pull-it junk yard, and if that didn't turn anything up, fabricate a new one from bar stock or flat steel. $120 is a crime.

Mshack

Reaction score
Could not agree more...feeling a lil bent over on this one.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As many KJs out there that have been junked you should be able to find an 02 rear diff to pull parts from
Check facebook marketplace, craigslist etc for someone parting out one
I used to have one laying in the barn but got rid of it since who wants a rear drum 8.25 LOL
Now here we are someone does ( or one part ) LOL

BeerStop

Reaction score
try the late 90-s early dodge b1500 vans as well mine had similar brake parts, some of it crosses to dakota as well but not the pick ups.

Mshack

Reaction score
Thank you all for info...still in a holding pattern for this part...geezzz

Mshack

Reaction score
Never gonna believe what I found with this parking brake strut
Pics are attached...
I typed in liberty on the 2nd pic jus to see if it says it cross references...says no...but it's the same part...wth?
Look at the Price? Hmmm
Unbelievable
Bendix #3211461
Jus knew it was used in another application.

Attachments

• 20220120_175910.jpg
    20220120_175910.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220120-173950_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120-173950_Chrome.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 12

46HudsonPU

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I was looking for that EXACT Bendix part number (3211461) - thank you for posting this, saved me a LOT of time trying to find this part.
Another part number that this particular part goes by - "F57Z-2A642-A", which is actually a 'Ford Ranger' part, and the same part that they also use in their Ford Explorer (with rear drum brakes - Bendix #3211461). Between these numbers, you should find aftermarket offerings that are made to replace the Bendix/Jeep/Ford part numbers - and SIGNIFANTLY less expensive than from OE vendors!

FYI: Seems that Bendix was / is a major supplier of brake parts (among a bunch of other stuff too) to automobile manufacturers - who sub-contracted various parts & components for multiple vehicles. Many of these parts and components 'cross over', not only between various models of the same manufacturer, but also between different manufacturers as well. Biggest problem is that Bendix won't tell you - they don't appear to track such information, there is nothing on their website to refer to to find out (and, they're not interested in assisting in this either). Of course the various manufacturers won't tell you either.. (i.e., you're on your own). And, to 'top' that off, the 'aftermarket' doesn't track it either, and their 'compatible vehicles' listing(s) are usually incomplete or inaccurate as well.

Last edited:

Mshack

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I was looking for that EXACT Bendix part number (3211461) - thank you for posting this, saved me a LOT of time trying to find this part.
Another part number that this particular part goes by - "F57Z-2A642-A", which is actually a 'Ford Ranger' part, and the same part that they also use in their Ford Explorer (with rear drum brakes - Bendix #3211461). Between these numbers, you should find aftermarket offerings that are made to replace the Bendix/Jeep/Ford part numbers - and SIGNIFANTLY less expensive than from OE vendors!

FYI: Seems that Bendix was / is a major supplier of brake parts (among a bunch of other stuff too) to automobile manufacturers - who sub-contracted various parts & components for multiple vehicles. Many of these parts and components 'cross over', not only between various models of the same manufacturer, but also between different manufacturers as well. Biggest problem is that Bendix won't tell you - they don't appear to track such information, there is nothing on their website to refer to to find out (and, they're not interested in assisting in this either). Of course the various manufacturers won't tell you either.. (i.e., you're on your own). And, to 'top' that off, the 'aftermarket' doesn't track it either, and their 'compatible vehicles' listing(s) are usually incomplete or inaccurate as well.
The whole situation was frustrating, 4 sure!

Turns out that the "shop" that did this work had the # the entire time. Never saw the # on the strut. #%$@*#*÷>&$

46HudsonPU

Reaction score
The whole situation was frustrating, 4 sure!

Turns out that the "shop" that did this work had the # the entire time. Never saw the # on the strut. #%$@*#*÷>&$
Mine were so encrusted with rust and crud, I couldn't see anything. Finally decided to clean them, see if I could use them - no, not really, however in doing that I managed to uncover that Bendix number (#3211461), which was only fully readable on one of the two old 'parking brake struts'. Very, very corroded pieces - replacement parts have been ordered, currently awaiting arrival..

Another aftermarket manufacturer part number for this:

OMIX 16751.06​

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online