Rear differential gaskets ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do y'all fellers get your rear differential gaskets ?? I've never changed my rear differential fluid, and probably need to get right on that. I went to gather all the stuff I'd need, and (thanks to you guys) I discovered the oil I need to use. What I couldn't find is the gasket for the differential cover after I get the differential cleaned out. I called a local parts house, but the guy just spit out a bunch of shit about how they couldn't get them. He was prolly just too damn lazy to get off his ass and look, but... I figured I would ask you fellers.

:cheers:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get mine out of a tube; Right Stuff.

Thaaaat's what I figured you guys were gonna say :) Just making sure.

I only ask, because I remember trying to get that orange goopy shit to form a seal. I remember it being a challenge at age 11, and really didn't wanna mess with it unless it was a necessary evil.
:cheers:

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
high temp orange RTV. just let it set up for a half hour before you add oil.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make gear oil specific RTV now,it's green,and it really works.

I prefer Ultra Gray myself.

Now I will have to check out the green RTV. Mine will need to be done again in the spring.

I was looking for a lube-locker gasket at one point and couldn't find one. Actually they do make a paper gasket for the 8.25 diff and I have one but never used it. NAPA had it. I just used the red RTV. No leaks.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I will have to check out the green RTV. Mine will need to be done again in the spring.

I was looking for a lube-locker gasket at one point and couldn't find one. Actually they do make a paper gasket for the 8.25 diff and I have one but never used it. NAPA had it. I just used the red RTV. No leaks.

Dave
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...sket_makers/permatex_gear_oil_rtv_sealant.htm

Used a version of the below stuff when in the Military and if it's similar would be the best stuff to use for any sealing surface.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ng_Formula_Gasket_Dressing_Flange_Sealant.htm

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave
Dave, The 8.25 lube locker I got from 4 wheel parts.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Lube-Locker-Differential-Gasket.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4018&t_pl=9726
There are lots of other places too just google: "Lubelocker 8.25 gasket"
They are slightly over $20. (PLUS SHIPPING?)
No leaks from mine on the rear diff or PML 42RLE aluminum pan. Quite Happy.
42615[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• RiddlerDiffCoverLubelocker825.jpg
    RiddlerDiffCoverLubelocker825.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm "gearing up" to change the diff oils as well. I found some leftover 75W-140 in my garage today- about 1.5 quarts (enough to do the front diff anyway.) The bottles are 2-3 years old and have had the seals broken, but they've been capped and stored in a dry location in my garage since the last time I changed gear oils. It's Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil. Can I use these to save money, or am I better off buying new oil?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use it. Some on here may say that regular old dino oil is better though. Just change it next year at this time too.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll use the oil on hand- there's just enough to do the front diff. 75W-90 for the back will have to be bought.

Waiting a year... do you change your diffy oils every year regardless, or is that just because it's oil that's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll use the oil on hand- there's just enough to do the front diff. 75W-90 for the back will have to be bought.

Waiting a year... do you change your diffy oils every year regardless, or is that just because it's oil that's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years?

I believe with synthetic it is 12K intervals. Someone may chime in, but it is that often because it is synthetic. You actually need to change it more often if you use synthetic.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to say once a year?
I change mine at least twice sometimes 3 times a year, but then I put more than 12,000 miles per year. Also use good old Dino, way better and quieter

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are driving your Jeep like a car, I don't think those fluids need to be changed that often. I think those intervals are for off-road or sloppy conditions. IMHO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.