Rear diff oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using valvoline syn-power. I have track lock, the bottle says limited slip, would I still need to add the friction modifier? Or is it good as is? Anyone have experience with this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using valvoline syn-power. I have track lock, the bottle says limited slip, would I still need to add the friction modifier? Or is it good as is? Anyone have experience with this?

No synthetic , only good old dino oil is needed and the best , then add modifier to it

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read online that someone had a Valvoline rep tell them to still add the friction modifier when changing the diff fluid. I would assume that their additives are there to help protect but not replace the friction modifier.

Last edited:

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Valvoline in my front and back. I also have the track lock. It works fine and it is pre mixed with the proper amount of modifier.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing really "wrong" with using the synthetic - but why bother?

These axles and differentials are nothing special as it relates to tolerances, design, etc. They are simple so that us DIY'ers can make mods and repairs to them at low cost with easy to find parts. I run 85W140 in both the front and rear and a gallon of that stuff is less than a quart of the Valvoline synthetic. I use just under 6 quarts to do both; so I'm spending $14 for a complete oil change instead of $48. Hmmmm....

Synthetic gear oil in these differentials is a waste of your hard earned dollar - and is equivalent to having Granny wear Victoria's Secret bra and *******.

It'll do the job but kinda overkill...

Bob

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Synthetic requires more frequent changes too...like every 15k. With dino I go every other year...about 25-30k.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your call but considering you live in Arizona where it can get real hot..Better protection will be achieved with 85w-140.
I use this year round ...
56418[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

When it is below freezing, it takes a few minutes to warm up the rear diff, a tad stiff in the morning ha ha..:gr_grin:
And don't forget with a Trac-Lok to add this: * is the part number..
56420[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• LucasGearLube.jpg
    LucasGearLube.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Limited%20Slip%20Additive.jpg
    Limited%20Slip%20Additive.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would synthetic require more frequent changes?

Not very good at protecting anything in a oil splash system like diffs.Get's over heated and looses all it's protection additives faster.

This applies to gear oil only.

You gain 0.1% better mpg's compared to dino gear oil and why most have switched.heck they are even using plastic oil pan drain plugs(and oil pans) to try and save weight to get every 10th of a mpg to meet federal standards.