Rear Control Arm Upgrade, 4 link? Other options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
This is what the adjustable IronRock Rear Upper Control Arm looks like installed on a Jeep KJ using my Custom Heavy Duty Mount.
FYI: The IronRock Rear lower adjustable control arms for the WJ (Grand Cherokee) also fit the Liberty perfectly, I have a set of them on my Jeep KJ. I build custom mounts for them to allow the OEM sway bar to be attached. They are super heavy duty as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm certain I'll be getting one of these someday, just not quite yet. Looks good!

mulletator

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did get in contact with wwdiesel. He was very helpful.

I found out that Iron Rock is actually manufacturing their own bracket for the KJ. I talked to them today and placed an order for the whole assembly (Rear UCA, Flex joints, and KJ bracket).

They said the KJ bracket is a new thing and they are actually making them right now, so I placed a pre-order. I also ordered lower control arms from Core 4x4, although I found out that Iron Rock also makes them. It would have saved me a bit to get it all from the same place.

I'll take some pics when it all gets delivered in a few weeks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I found out that Iron Rock is actually manufacturing their own bracket for the KJ. I talked to them today and placed an order for the whole assembly (Rear UCA, Flex joints, and KJ bracket).

They said the KJ bracket is a new thing and they are actually making them right now, so I placed a pre-order. I also ordered lower control arms from Core 4x4, although I found out that Iron Rock also makes them. It would have saved me a bit to get it all from the same place.

Yes Iron Rock is who I ordered from a long time ago
After weeks and weeks never did get my LCAs , never again

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's good news, just the fact that some company's may start seeing kj's as trucks with upgrading. As they become more plentiful and cheap we might see more people building them and companies creating aftermarket parts. I think that's kinda how it went with xj's.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying the tier 2 core 4x4 lowers myself..wanted the jj on the one end,we will see if it makes a big difference on the kj ,hopefully workth the extra 80 bucks or whatever it was

casm

Reaction score
Moderator on LOST, but gave up on that site when they put some new Mods on who are worthless

Tom, is that in reference to WWDiesel and myself?

If so, I'd really like to know what the apparent issue with us is. This is the first I've heard of there being a problem.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, is that in reference to WWDiesel and myself?

If so, I'd really like to know what the apparent issue with us is. This is the first I've heard of there being a problem.
Nothing with you two
Years before you two became involved , I finally gave up since no one wanted to do it, no help and was spending all my free time trying to keep spam down
plus I heard they named one person who knows nothing , but claims to be an expert. I used to do most all of his work
was not worth my aggravation any longer and I loved being a Mod on LOST, did it for years

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They give you a price on the bracket? I went stock boomerang again, but I wouldnt mind upgrading

mulletator

Reaction score
Hey guys, here's an update on the KJ rear end upgrade.

I got the UCA from Iron Rock. Nice quality stuff! I got the LCAs from Ocre 4x4, although Iron Rock makes them too but I didn't know that before I ordered them. You can probably get it all form the same place. The Core 4x4 ones are really nice too.

Iron Rock just stated making the bracket for the KJ, I think I got the first one they've made. It fits perfectly. I was going to get one from WWdiesl but Iron Rock told me they have one so I got it from them.

Here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/jLFx9lf
https://imgur.com/DxwlVQt
https://imgur.com/xqlxgDZ
https://imgur.com/AzLl2sI

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just emailed them the other day and they said it was in the works, but not yet. I'll have to check again. What did the uca kit cost? Any clearance issues with the abs/speed sensor?

Last edited:

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part not on website yet,looks sweet...let me know if it's worth it once you hit the trails,I got the core lowers havent done the upper still stock ,its been working for me but I wouldnt mind upgrading

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, I thought it was just me carrying too much weight and getting off road with it. Or not installing and tightening correctly to match my loading. But I guess not? I guess the majority of these are just junky now?

Funny thing is my original lasted a pretty long time but now I have replaced it twice since and I believe I'm up for a 3rd replacement soon. I keep destroying the rubber bushings in the body mount side?

Are you guys having the same point of failure? How is it that another brand of boomerang will hold up better here? I am not seeing that part in the picture. I think I remember seeing this part one of the previous times I was looking because I remember thinking that's gotta be way less of a pain to deal with than the ball joint on the pumkpin setup. But I saw it was adjustable and assumed it was for lifts, allowing the ability to tilt the axle to better align to driveshaft angles.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, I thought it was just me carrying too much weight and getting off road with it. Or not installing and tightening correctly to match my loading. But I guess not? I guess the majority of these are just junky now?

Funny thing is my original lasted a pretty long time but now I have replaced it twice since and I believe I'm up for a 3rd replacement soon. I keep destroying the rubber bushings in the body mount side?

Are you guys having the same point of failure? How is it that another brand of boomerang will hold up better here? I am not seeing that part in the picture. I think I remember seeing this part one of the previous times I was looking because I remember thinking that's gotta be way less of a pain to deal with than the ball joint on the pumkpin setup. But I saw it was adjustable and assumed it was for lifts, allowing the ability to tilt the axle to better align to driveshaft angles.

That one is for a wj grand Cherokee,one that has been lifted , that's why he had to install an adapter so it would fit the kj..the idea is that it will solve alot of the issues that the stock piece has,a few guys have a 4 link made for the kj that kept everything lined up an working right after a lift and able to take a beating , but since they dont make it anymore this is the next best thing

mulletator

Reaction score
That one is for a wj grand Cherokee,one that has been lifted , that's why he had to install an adapter so it would fit the kj..the idea is that it will solve alot of the issues that the stock piece has,a few guys have a 4 link made for the kj that kept everything lined up an working right after a lift and able to take a beating , but since they dont make it anymore this is the next best thing

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. Much stronger stuff and better articulation. I haven't hit the trails yet. I need to adjust the driveshaft angle, it's nice that this stuff is adjustable. Once I get it tweaked I'll have less stress on the U joints.

mulletator

Reaction score
I just emailed them the other day and they said it was in the works, but not yet. I'll have to check again. What did the uca kit cost? Any clearance issues with the abs/speed sensor?

The kit from Iron Rock cost $542.67 USD. Including the bracket, UCA swivel joints, botls, etc and shipping to Canada.

Not cheap but definitely worth it for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its great there is another avenue now that JBA doesn't make his bolt on UCA replacement now
But is kind of funny back when he was making them I think they were mid 400s and a lot of KJ owners thought that was ridiculous .
I have the JBAs on the 03 ( for about 65,000 miles now ) and on the 04 for over 80,000 miles
makes a huge difference for sure on and off road

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yerp, wish I had picked one up fromjba when they had 'em. But shipping for the IR kit to me should only be about $35 it seems. So not bad. Any negatives with flex joints over rubber bushes? More vibration transfer to body perhaps?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yerp, wish I had picked one up fromjba when they had 'em. But shipping for the IR kit to me should only be about $35 it seems. So not bad. Any negatives with flex joints over rubber bushes? More vibration transfer to body perhaps?
I have noticed a bit more noise transmitted through the joints but nothing that bugs me at all
as far as vibration , maybe some but again for me not something that bugs me and I am one of those when there is a small squeak anywhere I have to find it NOW ! ;)