Rear Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace a rear Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly on an 04 KJ? What tools will I need that I might not have in my garage? How many hours will this job be?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your time trying and just go to a dealer and buy an OEM one. After market is junk and pressing a new one on the boomerang will just stress it.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your time trying and just go to a dealer and buy an OEM one. After market is junk and pressing a new one on the boomerang will just stress it.

Thats the plan...but about installation?

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How many hours is this project if taken to a mechanic?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only takes 30-40 minutes total and thats with getting a couple of wrenches out of the tool box and walking around for 5 minutes :rotflmao: ( for a beginner)
If lifted you don't even have to jack it up
crawl under and go after it

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only takes 30-40 minutes total and thats with getting a couple of wrenches out of the tool box and walking around for 5 minutes :rotflmao: ( for a beginner)

Do you know where I can find instructions on this?

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You sir are a well of knowledge that I intend to run dry LOL

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, the instructions:

Like Mr. Mudd said, if lifted, lay down on crawler and scoot under the rear axle - don't bother with floor jacks or jackstands. Takes too much time for too little benefit.

Be prepared to loosen 5 bolts (actually 3 real bolts and two sorta bolts that hold the brake lines.)

1. Remove bolts retaining boomerang to body
  2. Remove bolts holding brake lines
  3. Remove bolt holding boomerang balljoint to rear differential
  4. Remove worn, tired, rusted factory boomerang control arm.
  5. Reverse procedure to install new, fresh, shiny OEM boomerang control arm
  6. Do your wife or significant other a favor and run the sweeper in the family room cuz you have so much bloody time left over compared to how long you THOUGHT this project would take. :cocktail:

My fine sir, you now have complete instructions for installing the rear upper control arm in your lifted Libby. Maybe not official factory instructions but you get the idea...

Sah - LOOT! usa.gif

Bob