Replacing upper control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leahtanooki

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently been fixing up a 2007 Jeep Liberty I inherited. It has many issues, I want to start with replacing the suspension that is causing the alignment to be out. I am planning on doing upper control arms and lower ball joints, I would appreciate any tips or help since it seems like the upper control arm might be difficult to do (as a DIY home mechanic)

Thank you!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming it's a 3.7 (v6) which it seems most are. Remove air box and battery, then using the appropriate amount of extensions unbolt the upper control arm mounts. You'll be turning your wrench up near the radiator, but that's the only place there's room to move a wrench. You may have to temporarily move some hard lines for the brakes on the driver side, just unclip from body and move them slightly. Just one step at a time and you'll get it. It's really not that hard. Of course all of this is done with jeep on jack stands and suspension hanging.

leahtanooki

Reaction score
Assuming it's a 3.7 (v6) which it seems most are. Remove air box and battery, then using the appropriate amount of extensions unbolt the upper control arm mounts. You'll be turning your wrench up near the radiator, but that's the only place there's room to move a wrench. You may have to temporarily move some hard lines for the brakes on the driver side, just unclip from body and move them slightly. Just one step at a time and you'll get it. It's really not that hard. Of course all of this is done with jeep on jack stands and suspension hanging.
Thank you very much, its appreciated

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a 18mm deep socket the bolt head has a flag on it so you don't need 2 wrenches. Just hope none of the bolts are rusted like my rear drivers side was as I had to cut that one out

GA05KJ

Reaction score
This is a pretty easy deal if you have average/above average skills and tools.
My personal recommendation are these control arms.
MEVOTECH CTXK3198 TTX Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint; Greaseable (two of my three Libs are rocking these now)
I have no vendor preference whomever can get it to me the fastest and the cheapest.
And EVERYTHING is made elsewhere so that is no longer and issue.