Rear Bumper Guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle brush...nah builds character hahaha. Plate being covered...maybe down the road someday...but in a liberty not known to break any speed records dont know...also can count on one hand how many cops have ever been driving behind me. If by chance then i will relocate the plate and fab a plate holder through the spare tire rack and thanks for the positive feedback!!

AtTheHelm

Reaction score
GOOD JOB!! I honestly cringed a little when I read bumper "guard", but that thing rocks. Makes me want to learn tube work.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just gotta have an imagination of how you want to make something, not be scared to mess up and start somewhere is all it takes. I started years ago because I got tired of paying high dollar prices for someone elses work and I could never get what I wanted in everything that was offered so boom I started. Thanks for the positive feedback. It has its clevis's attached now so it adds a lil kick to the look to. Will post another pick tomorrow.

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand? Why not replace the whole bumper with something stronger? Tube bumpers have too many exposed holes where tree branches an rocks an breach?

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight...cost...and not going rock crawling with my libby, my other Jeep does that plus it serves my purpose for which its intended. It cost me a total of $10.00 to build this one compared to $500.00 for aftermarket rear bumper which I could build one of those for $150-200 just no need. Not trying to be rude in my explanation its just all I needed for my purpose.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now its complete...for now

Here is the final shots with clevis's installed. Now its done....not really its a Jeep and they are never finished

Attachments

• cakes and rear bumper guard 010.jpg
    cakes and rear bumper guard 010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 102
  • cakes and rear bumper guard 008.jpg
    cakes and rear bumper guard 008.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 98
  • cakes and rear bumper guard 009.jpg
    cakes and rear bumper guard 009.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 101

attainedage

Reaction score
I'm a new member today.

Bought an 04 Liberty two weeks ago, and I've been shopping for a trailer hitch. I thought I had found one on the internet at a good price, but then the seller told me I'd have to relocate my Limited's spare tire because there isn't enough room between the spare tire and the ball to allow most couplers to fit on top of the ball with the lock clamp opened up.

Any recommendations for which hitch brand and style (hidden or exposed cross member)?

How long can the ball mount be extended in length (to clear the spare) before I start running into problems with tongue weight?

If this clearance thing between the spare tire and the ball is actually a problem, seems like everyone would be talking about it, but I've only heard that from one seller.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like hidden much better than exposed cross members. As far as clearance issues you do not have to relocate anything. All you would need is an extension, 12 inches like the one that Harbor Freight sells for $19 bucks which is what i have used to clear my spare and that depends on what your going to tow whether you will even need one or not. Extending it out will affect the tongue weight but as long as you are not trying to tow something rediculous you will be fine. My hitch is factory I got from a junkyard Liberty for $30. Search junkyards first because they have bargain deals. Otherwise Etrailer or Discount Ramps.com has a multitude of hitches you will just spend more for new obviously. So you get an idea on my pics the lower receiver tube is the factory one and I added the top one that my bumper piece is attached to. Also as my spare I have a 265 size tire vise a 245 or 235 so there would be even more room if you still have a factory size spare.

Last edited:

attainedage

Reaction score
Thanks, slowcrawler. I'd rather have the hidden cross member too - so I'll go for one of those.

I remember with my 1980 CJ7, when trying to hook up my boat trailer, I'd have to swing my spare tire gate out of the way in order to seat the coupling onto the ball. But I'm thinking the guy who told me I'd have to move the tire mount on my Liberty must not own one himself. Some Liberty's come with an OEM tow package, so this must not be a big issue.

Another thing I'm a little concerned about is the grade of the mounting bolts and washers. Some members on here emphasize the importance of using grade 10.9, not 8.8. Yet, if the specs are even provided by some of the hitch descriptons, I see many of them are only 8.8.

I've already gotten a lot of useful information from this forum. Thanks for the help!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought 8.8 was standard and always ask for that, but I think( all a thought) that 10.9 is metric hardness like 8.8.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for anything more than 8.8, they have more than enough strength. Now if you were attaching a hitch to a F350 that would be a different story. 8.8, your good to go.

Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SlowCrawl

Very cool project! I like the finished look of it.

Been thinking along your lines also.

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to do if you have an imagination. There is one thing now looking back I would have done different and thats bring the bar under the tire up higher to the lower lip of the bumper but I did not have enough scrap steel to make it that high. But have fun with it and see what you can come up with. Thanks for the comment.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone was saying 8.8 I thought that was new lingo for grade 8 bolts. I checked and 10.9 is the metric equivalent of grade 8 U.S. If grade 8 isn't enough then all of my hitches would have be on the ground. So if 10.9=grade 8 then it should be good.

Last edited:

slowcrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything over an 8.8 on a Liberty is overkill. Its a Liberty your not going to tow a house or haul a 30 foot RV. Factory Jeeps = 8.8. I use them on my monster Grand Cherokee with 100 pound rear bumper/receiver tire carrier carrying a 75 pound spare tire and have pulled Jeeps/Hummers etc out with it.....no issues but if it makes you feel comfortable then you can buy that piece of mind for yourself

Latest posts

Members online