Rear Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep has 11,000 miles on it and yesterday the rear pass side brake didn't seem to release.. after a few miles I pulled off the road and it was hot and smelly.. I took the wheel off today.. looked at it. looked normal.. used brake cleaner on it.. and it still moans on back up.. is this normal? will it lock on again? bring it in?

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear liberty calipers hang up and bind causing premature pad wear. you need rear calipers, chrysler has a new design for these midway through 05 model year. still covered under 3/36 warranty.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only bulletin available for that is a rear brake moan tsb# 05-003-03 involves replacing rear rotors and pads, your calipers are the problem. work at a jeep dealership and replace them often. replace in pairs. are you still in warranty?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Are the calipers covered under the 3/36 and what is the cut off on the moan tsb 12/12 or 3/36?

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YUPP

Bought my jeep in Jan 2005, limited has currently 11,000 miles.. I park it in summer... Use a new GTI starting this week.. so I was about to park it.. only MOD I've done was paint the calipers red.. being carful not to get any paint on moving parts..

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Are the calipers covered under the 3/36 and what is the cut off on the moan tsb 12/12 or 3/36?

this bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to dec. 5th of 05 and i'm not sure if all dealers would cover up to 36k, typically brake pads and rotos are only covered 12 mo. or 12k miles. our dealer would slide it through regardless. they goodwill just about anything. and yes brake calipers are covered 3/36.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: YUPP

libertydude said:
Bought my jeep in Jan 2005, limited has currently 11,000 miles.. I park it in summer... Use a new GTI starting this week.. so I was about to park it.. only MOD I've done was paint the calipers red.. being carful not to get any paint on moving parts..

i'm not sure how your local dealership would react to your painted calipers. legally i dont think they can deny your warranty. there has to be proof that you painting your calipers caused them to bind, and these do have problems.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your awesome!

Ok thank you!

I mean $31,000 for a jeep liberty limited and the brakes on my mtn bike are better!

I have a cannondale lefty, with disc brakes running hydraulic fluid.. no cables.. =)

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sprsonic said:
your calipers are the problem. work at a jeep dealership and replace them often. replace in pairs. are you still in warranty?

sprsonic
Would you please post the part numbers for the new rear calipers that you have been installing, would like to bring this up to the dealer and part numbers will help, I was at teh dealership today looking a some new 06 Libertys and the rear calipers appear to be different than what I have on my 05

Thanks

Bob

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bob, we still replace them with the same part numbers that they came with from factory. was just stating that there was an update in the middle of the model year of 05, witch are as followed. supposed to be a new design for that reason. sorry if i misled you.

03-04 and 05 up to 4-17-05
-right caliper uses pn 5093274aa
-left caliper uses pn 5093279aa

4-18-05 till present
-right caliper uses pn 5179730aa
-left caliper uses pn 5179731aa

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be..

The newer part numbers reflect the STANDARD ABS on liberty's?