re man or new cv?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to get the whole half shaft on the pass side. Should i go with the cheaper re man of a new one?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rumor has it new napa cvs are made in china and wrong length. Remans at sub 50 bucks, it really isn't a hard decision.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rumor has it new napa cvs are made in china and wrong length. Remans at sub 50 bucks, it really isn't a hard decision.

Its $61 for a reman at my local napa. And the new napa cv's are shorter. Reman compressed length is 22 3/4" and new compressed is 22 9/16". Is that 1/16" a problem causer?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
core charge?

No core per say, more of a deposit on the re man. Might wana sit down for this...... $121 just to make sure i bring my old one back, does nothing for the $60 on the re man. Didnt ask what core was on the new

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats why I have a few old ones laying around
always have a core handy ha ha

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought the china ones were being peddled by advance or autozone and the NAPA ones were the good ones?

Dave

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the china ones were being peddled by advance or autozone and the NAPA ones were the good ones?

Dave

You can see the compressed lengths for all the cv's on the napa website.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the new thing using a Cardone new on the driver's side. The minute I started out my driveway I knew I screwed up. Took it off a couple days later and replaced it with a NAPA re-man.

About three weeks ago I did the passenger side with a NAPA reman and a new intermediate shaft and it's smooth as butter.

NAPA reman gets my vote.

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see the compressed lengths for all the cv's on the napa website.

Yeah, you have to be careful getting stuff these days and you can't go by price alone. I guess you need to be sure you get an OEM spec cv. I know I hate to go through the work of doing something and then find out the part was crap and have to buy another part and do it again. Might as well get the better part in the first place. Especially a cv that you know will need to take a lot of abuse.

Dave

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, im just going to get the NAPA re man and get it done right the first time.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its $61 for a reman at my local napa. And the new napa cv's are shorter. Reman compressed length is 22 3/4" and new compressed is 22 9/16". Is that 1/16" a problem causer?
that's 3/16" difference

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What sort of mileage are you guys getting from the original CV joints?

Running the stock one on the left side with 182,000 miles on it, over 160,000 lifted
right side a couple of times but more due to them getting cut from limbs etc

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only got 93, 000km (58, 000 miles) and I've got something clicking. Only happens after about an hour of driving (once the grease is warmed up I'm guessing) and when coasting at very low speed.