Rattling when AC is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport and in the last couple of weeks there is a rattling noise coming from near the tension pulley area, as best I can tell, when I turn on the AC. It stops when I accelerate though and it still blows cold air. I changed the tension pulley and put on a new belt about a month ago so I don't think it would be that. I read it might be the ac compressor clutch but I don't want to start spending money and time replacing things until I know for sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

richardm

Reaction score
I agree with tj, I had the same noise last year and swapped out the tensioner and the noise with it.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be the week for 2003's - just replaced mine. Research the belt tensioner on google - there are good brands and not so good brands (that don't last long).

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think it's a defective tensioner? I replaced the whole assembly about a month ago.

sebastien7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I'll swap it out this week and see what happens. I hope its only the tensioner!

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same thing happen to me last summer, only got that rattling when the A/C was on. Definitely the tensioner pulley, also confirmed by others on this site when I had my problem. I replaced the whole assembly with an OEM part from the dealer as well as a new belt and that took care of the whole thing, no noise thereafter. Guess these things just go after long enough.

Elmanga

Reaction score
the same happened to me,i replace the belt and tension from advance auto,the tensioner noise was still there,then i replace it again for another tensioner,this one mopar bought from the dealer and the noise is still there when putting the ac on and when putting my jeep from park to reverse,any ideas what may be the issue? thanksss in advance

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I'll swap it out this week and see what happens. I hope its only the tensioner!
The dealer belt is EPDM quality and so is the Gates.
I also used the Gates Tensioner assembly as in photo below.
54430[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

An auto stethoscope will help pinpoint the rattles exact location.
The AC has has a bearing that can go bad, but also a clutch air gap, and if it is too wide it can rattle.
Can be checked with feeler gauge/then adjusted if necessary.
If there is rust along the AC clutch gap etc , some fine emery cloth can be used to remove the rust and a quick spray of silione lube after, often stops it.

Attachments

• Gates%20tensioner%20and%20Belt.jpg
    Gates%20tensioner%20and%20Belt.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you got the right tensioner too. My 02 takes a 76/90mm pulley combo. Gates 38167. Not sure if this was an 02 thing or not. Would require a different size belt than the 76/76mm. Gates K060874

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you solved the issue yet, but I too had the same problem a year ago. Replace the whole assembly and belt not just the pulley and it should fix the issue if it's the tensioner. If that doesn't fix your issue take the belt off and put your hand on all of the pulleys and make sure there isn't an substantial amount of play. A tiny bit is okay just not a lot. Get under the hood and have someone in the vehicle. Tell your helper to turn the ac on full blast (recirculate) and max cold. Watch the AC clutch. Tell your helped to turn it on and when the clutch kicks and and it makes noise after the new belt and tensioner, you have found your issue. Typically you can replace the clutch by itself. But when you do that, you find yourself replacing the whole damn assembly months later so just do it all at once. Make sure you read the specs for the pag oil as well I'm almost certain it is one oz and check to see if the new compressor has pag oil in it.
Also when my tensioner went, it wasn't really a rattling noise. More of a clicking. Rattling sounds more like a bearing issue on the compressor.
Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.