Rattle on drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybird91

Reaction score
Hello im getting a rattle sound coming from drivers side underneath by the cat exhaust. I was thinking it might be my tensioner but the sound is in park or neutral. And when i raise the rpm up. it rattles up then goes away after i let off the gas. Then comes again . Could this be my exhaust as i have been having an issue with smelly white smoke if parked or idle for a long time.? Thanks

Jaybird91

Reaction score
So i found where the rattle is coming from and its from inside the driver side catalytic converter. There is something inside that sounds like a popcorn kernel rolling around. I also have been seeing more white smoke and horrible smell. . Any suggestions . ? Replace driver-side or both?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is usually coolant getting in the cylinders and "trying" to burn. Without actually looking at it, I can only guess that there are 2 issues goin on. 1) The insides came loose in the catalytic converter, if the noise is from the inside of it. And 2) The head gasket is bad, allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. As I said though, I am only guessing since I can't look at it for myself.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that what that rattling noise is! lol..I've had that for ever ,I know my heat shield is all types of loose also ,so you can imagine the noises I got lol

Jaybird91

Reaction score
I smell more unburned fuel. And its more brown /white smoke. My coolant level hasn't moved or fouled with oil. Head gasket could be another issue still. I dont have any codes. Could a bad cat cause a smoke issue thou. Not sure where to start now.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Pressure test coolant system, check plugs for fouling, replace cat and see if O2 sensors are ok would be a good start. ;)

Jaybird91

Reaction score
I was finally able to fix my C.C. on drivers side . Got a new one cut and welded on from a local muffler shop. Save a lot of $ and headache. I thought it was the head gasket. The smoke issue and bad smell i had went away. I should have took a pic of the old one. It had metal chips and broken ***** comb . Thanks everyone. Hope this helps anyone else. I live in California so emissions is a pain over here.

Latest posts

Members online