Random "dings" and warning lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mahkis

Reaction score
Alright, somebody help me out here. I've searched and found a little on this but no reason why. We have an 06 Limited with 53,000 miles on it and a few weeks back the wife said the Jeep was making random dinging noises every once in a while. I thought see was crazy so I drove it and nothing. Then about a week ago I was driving and got the ding and the "gascap" sign would light up in the odometer area. I was like cool, that's easy enough. Get out take it off put it back on. Drive it and it still did it. Now, sometimes it dings and there are no warning lights or "gascap" things going off and at random the "trans temp" or "OD off" lights flashes for a second and goes off. Doesn't do it every time you drive but more like every other. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad, worn batteries always do crazy things in these. How old is yours? If the original change it. Or get it tested. That's what I would do first.

Mahkis

Reaction score
Hmmmmm...........I'll have to check that out. The Jeep is 3-1/2 hours away right now so I'll have to wait until later this week.
Anymore ideas?

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the battery--check the terminals to make sure they're not loose. Mine freaked out while I was waiting at an intersection one day when the terminals were loose--lit up the dashboard like the Fourth of July and gave me all sorts of bells, dings, and maybe even a whistle or two =P

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me 3X the battery thing.....

I had mine "forget" the ignition key one time and refused to start.

Disconnected the battery (one terminal was loose). Depressed the brakes for a minute to drain all capacitors down and re-set the CPU. Cleaned and re-tightened the terminals - Fired right up!

Chrysler products love their batteries... If the voltage drops, things get weird.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 - Battery..

So many reports of KJ weirdness due to a weak battery. It may be starting and running now, but who knows another week and it won't start, etc...

Boiler

Reaction score
x5. I've heard lots of stories like that resolved by a new battery. Get a good one. Optima (not sure what color top) is usually the most recommended around here.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your codes. I agree with the battery issues above, but the codes will probably give you some idea of what it's dinging about.

SpamShadow

Reaction score
I'm sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but I was curious if OP ever got this figured out. I just got an '06 Liberty Sport that's doing the EXACT same thing. Its driving me nuts. Took it to the dealer and had it updated for free, problems didn't go away. I'm going to head over and have the battery tested right now.

Edit: just got back from the garage, they tested the battery and it read a-ok. In fact it was in great condition, so was the alternator...yar, back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the cables entering the cabin from the engine bay...you could have a loose connector or chaffed wires or water logged wires where the wires are on their way towards the BCM.
There are connectors and wires inside the footwells and under the carpets.
Also check the connectors on the BCM/Junction box itself.
Also check for good grounding points inside the engine bay.

SpamShadow

Reaction score
I figured it out. Technical Service Bulletin #08-016-07 describes my problem exactly, the BCM needs replaced. Thanks for the help, though.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether he did or not, I have to chime in with the same symptoms that led me to a bad battery last year. Also, check the main (+) positive feeder cable attachment into the relay box. Chrysler (specifically, my Dodge Ram) had the same thing and I found the main feed cable loose inside the box after replacing a couple of relays, I 'bumped' the cable while my wife watched the lights for me and that's how I discovered it.

Good luck.

Last edited: