Radio reception non-existent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob_lewis

Reaction score
I probably need to have my wife take it in, but thought I would check here first.

Upon getting her new (to us) Liberty, the first thing we noticed is that only about 3 FM stations come in and no AM stations. I checked the cable connections and made sure the antenna was on tight, nothing helped.

I ordered an antenna booster (from Crutchfield) to see if that would help.

Just got it installed and it didn't make a darn bit of difference.

Any suggestions? I guess I just need to pull the booster back out and take the Liberty in, but thought I would check here first.

-Rob

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do ya live? I notice that traveling across I80 in Pennsylvania that there are some areas where I don't get any radio stations because it's out in the stix. How many radio stations did you get with your old vehicle? Did you check to see that the antenna cable is plugged into the back of the radio unit?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rob_lewis said:
I checked the cable connections and made sure the antenna was on tight, nothing helped.
When checking the cable connections did you happen to check the connection at the antenna, and did you check the cable itself for damage? Its possible that the cable got pinched in the assembly process (damn Friday cars) or that some moisture got into the connection at the antenna; either one could cause the problems you are experiencing. Best bet is to take it in and have the dealer check and/or replace things.

rob_lewis

Reaction score
stackthepads30 said:
Where do ya live? I notice that traveling across I80 in Pennsylvania that there are some areas where I don't get any radio stations because it's out in the stix. How many radio stations did you get with your old vehicle? Did you check to see that the antenna cable is plugged into the back of the radio unit?
I live in a suburb of Austin, TX. Radio stations on our other cars has never been an issue. I did make sure to check the connection in the back of the radio (since I added the booster to the system, anyway). All seemed fine.
Corwyyn said:
rob_lewis said:
I checked the cable connections and made sure the antenna was on tight, nothing helped.
When checking the cable connections did you happen to check the connection at the antenna, and did you check the cable itself for damage? Its possible that the cable got pinched in the assembly process (damn Friday cars) or that some moisture got into the connection at the antenna; either one could cause the problems you are experiencing. Best bet is to take it in and have the dealer check and/or replace things.
I looked at as much of the cable (couldn't see it behind the dash) as I could and everything looked OK. The connection seemed a little easy to remove, but fit tight. I also looked down behind the fender where it connected to the antenna itself and, except for being rusty, it looked fine.

Looks like we'll just need to take it in and have the dealer check it out. I'll just need to remove the booster unit first so they don't blame it on that.

Thanks for the replies.

-Rob