Radiator Fan Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smeltn

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got a problem that started about 2 weeks ago. Wife noticed the libby got a little warm and smelled hot, so I checked it and coolant was low. So I topped it off, and checked out everything I knew to look at. Nothing noticeably wrong.

About a week later (this past weekend) I again seen the heat gauge go high, got out and it smelt hot again, checked coolant, low again. Well I messed with it for a while, and finally noticed that the Radiator fan will come on, and instantly go back off, I mean like within 5-20 secs of it coming on. It does it constantly, so I am thinking the fan isn't running at all anymore.

What could this be? Bad Radiator fan, sensor, thermastat or what?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The fan on the Libby doesn't run continuously, and sometimes will only run when the compressor runs-- air conditioning or defog/frost modes. But if your gauge is going high, it may be a thermostat. I would think that if it were running hot, the radiator fan would keep going though, you know, to compensate for the additional heat of a failing thermostat.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your heater work good? If not when I'd be checking the upper drivers side radiator tank for cracks.The CTS doesn't read right when not imersed in coolant and can make the fan do funny things.If you have a '02-'06 KJ the electric fan relay is about 10" below the battery.

Also remember to use HOAT coolant only(or Zerex GO5 coolant,same thing) in the KJ,using those "universal coolants" will damage your cooling system,they are OAT coolants and when mixed with HOAT coolants it turns it into acid.