Radiator Cap - Is This Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a hell of a time with my 2003 Liberty 3.7l lately.

In the last two weeks, I've replaced the belt tensioner, power steering pump, spark plugs, and I need a new fan.

Today I got a CEL for a misfire. I've replaced all the coil packs hoping that it will cure the problem.

While I was replacing the coil packs, I noticed that my coolant bottle was almost empty :(
I got the coolant from the dealership, and I'm just about to top it up, when I noticed that the cap looks odd.

Now, I know that there are various pressure release valves involved bu I'm not sure how they work. For all I know this could be quite normal.

Is the rubber gasket supposed to look like thiis, or do I have a big chunk of rubber missing?

Attachments

• IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 62

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having a hell of a time with my 2003 Liberty 3.7l lately.

In the last two weeks, I've replaced the belt tensioner, power steering pump, spark plugs, and I need a new fan.

Today I got a CEL for a misfire. I've replaced all the coil packs hoping that it will cure the problem.

While I was replacing the coil packs, I noticed that my coolant bottle was almost empty :(
I got the coolant from the dealership, and I'm just about to top it up, when I noticed that the cap looks odd.

Now, I know that there are various pressure release valves involved bu I'm not sure how they work. For all I know this could be quite normal.

Is the rubber gasket supposed to look like thiis, or do I have a big chunk of rubber missing?

Same here on my 03' Liberty. In the past 24 months I had to change a number of things. Serpentine belt, Radiator, fan, Alternator, battery, drive shaft, etc. My radiotator kept leaking anti-freeze, was always empty after 2-3 days.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that's fawked up. I'll double check mine once it's cooled down but I think I would remember if it looked like that.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here on my 03' Liberty. In the past 24 months I had to change a number of things. Serpentine belt, Radiator, fan, Alternator, battery, drive shaft, etc. My radiotator kept leaking anti-freeze, was always empty after 2-3 days.

Gotta find where it's going ASAP. You don't want to overheat these things or bad things will happen. Any puddles or milky appearance to the oil?

Sometimes it can take a while to get all the air out of these systems. How many times was it "empty after 2-3 days"?

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, new cap on order.

Would that explain my coolant loss, or do I have a blown head gasket?
I wouldn't be surprised considering the luck I've been having lately.

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta find where it's going ASAP. You don't want to overheat these things or bad things will happen. Any puddles or milky appearance to the oil?

Sometimes it can take a while to get all the air out of these systems. How many times was it "empty after 2-3 days"?

Maybe a week or two, but it's ok now, since I changed the radiator. Nothing overheated thankfully. There were minor puddles on the driveway.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, new cap on order.

Would that explain my coolant loss, or do I have a blown head gasket?
I wouldn't be surprised considering the luck I've been having lately.

Yes whenever the pressure tries to build it will boil off or may run into the overflow chamber. I'd just keep an eye on it after you replace the cap to ensure coolant loss doesn't continue.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a week or two, but it's ok now, since I changed the radiator. Nothing overheated thankfully. There were minor puddles on the driveway.

I'd just keep it topped up and try to find the source of the minor puddles. It may lose a bunch while you are driving and you only see "minor puddles" when you park. How's the water pump??

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a loaner tool from your LAPS and pressure test the system at 15psi.
leaks will present themselves if any.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party..Sounds like you already got good help!
For reference, Here is a pic of my cap.
58654[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Your new one wont have a chunk Missing! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• Reservoir%20Cap.jpg
    Reservoir%20Cap.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Yoboloko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just keep it topped up and try to find the source of the minor puddles. It may lose a bunch while you are driving and you only see "minor puddles" when you park. How's the water pump??

I haven't checked the pump, should I ask my mechanic?

Right now, with the new radiator, the reservoir has been topped up for 2 weeks. I check the reservoir every 2-3 days, and it's still topped up. There's still puddles, but the mechanic says it because of the overflow, does this make sense?

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party..Sounds like you already got good help!
For reference, Here is a pic of my cap.
58659[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Your new one wont have a chunk Missing! :gr_grin:

Yup, mine is definitely bad. There are a few cracks around the other seal too, so definitely time for a new one.
I'll be watching my coolant level like a hawk until Wednesday, which is when the replacement comes.

Attachments

• Reservoir%20Cap.jpg
    Reservoir%20Cap.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked the pump, should I ask my mechanic?

Right now, with the new radiator, the reservoir has been topped up for 2 weeks. I check the reservoir every 2-3 days, and it's still topped up. There's still puddles, but the mechanic says it because of the overflow, does this make sense?

Sounds like overflow or spillage is possible but shouldn't have puddles for long. Are the puddles near the reservoir area (back passenger side) or front? I'd somehow check to make sure the water pump isn't leaking at the weep hole near the pulley shaft. When the seals start to go around the shaft the first thing that usually happens is that the coolant starts to work it's way out along the shaft and will drip out of a weep hole on the housing at the bottom where the pulley shaft comes out. Once this coolant gets to the bearings in the shaft the pump will fail. Tough to see from the front or top due to the pulley. Sort of need to look from beneath.

I actually had one weep for almost a year before the bearings started howling and chattering.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you won't get any pressure in the tank with a bad cap. You'll notice a difference if you try to pull the cap off when the coolant is hot. You'll actually release a vacuum. Did you get the correct pressure for your new cap? The number escapes me right now, unfortunately.

jamesbeat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct pressure?
Uh oh, I didn't know there were different ones - I just ordered a cap for a 2003 Liberty with a 3.7l engine.
How do I know if I got the right one?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct pressure?
Uh oh, I didn't know there were different ones - I just ordered a cap for a 2003 Liberty with a 3.7l engine.

Usually a cap is rated for pressure.

Looks like ours is 16 PSI. Higher pressure could blow lines.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct pressure?

16-18psi.

Why not just get one at a local autoparts store? No shipping,get it the same day, and no worry of overheating due to a bad cap.They are cheap enough and so common(can get the correct one at wallmart for christ sake) I carry a spare in both my vehicles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
16-18psi.

Why not just get one at a local autoparts store? No shipping,get it the same day, and no worry of overheating due to a bad cap.They are cheap enough and so common(can get the correct one at wallmart for christ sake) I carry a spare in both my vehicles.

LOL I though I was the only one who carried spare radiator caps. Should of known you did as well . When cleaning out my underseat storage area on the 04 , came across 2 new ones !

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct pressure?

That should say on the cap what the pressure is. I would have gone to NAPA or the dealer and got one immediately and put it on. I won't wait for stuff like that to come in the mail. I want it replaced immediately with missing chunks of gasket. Just me being impatient.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online