Rack replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

Reaction score
My bushings on my rack and pinion are basically gone. One of the looks like it’s pancaking out of the bottom, there’s fluid residue on the boot covers of the tie rods.

I’ve watched a couple videos and done some reading online and in the Haynes manual. Seems like I could take it out the left side but will have to remove the front lower control bolts to access the bolts behind. I know it will need an alignment afterwards.

Recommendations on which rack to get?

Is this a job I should attempt or should I let a shop do it?

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Creative Steel poly bushings - not a bad job really. got it done by myself along with new lower ball joints and brake pads all in one morning/afternoon

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Creative Steel poly bushings - not a bad job really. got it done by myself along with new lower ball joints and brake pads all in one morning/afternoon
Did you take the rack all the way out of the jeep or just slide forward and work it still in the vehicle?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need to fully remove the rack
Plus if you do you do not need to remove or move the Lower Control Arm
Remove the tie rods from the knuckle and that will give you enough wiggle room to move it around

Haynes and Chiltons are only about 10% right on most of their content

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
I found the link to the thread on the temporary fix to this issue is it worth doing

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found the link to the thread on the temporary fix to this issue is it worth doing
Could be. Doesn't last long for me and you need to make sure that if you put anything under the rack, you do it on both bushings or you will mess up your alignment.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got them new fangled plastic bushings sitting in my garage.

Just waiting for my 04 to come home to get it done.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take the rack all the way out of the jeep or just slide forward and work it still in the vehicle?
sorry I'm just now responding - I did not take the rack all the way off and I did not mess with the steering shaft as recommended by some. Just undo the tie rod ends and the two big rack bolts and you should be able to wiggle it around to make it work.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry I'm just now responding - I did not take the rack all the way off and I did not mess with the steering shaft as recommended by some. Just undo the tie rod ends and the two big rack bolts and you should be able to wiggle it around to make it work.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online