Questions about Daystar 2.5 on 2002 kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^

what he said. Save up $1200, buy new A-Arms, Coils, struts. Do it all the first time, and have a problem free suspension for many more miles. The Jeep being my daily driver, I can not afford my lift kit causing me not to get to work, cause a coil spring snaps.

I want a lift kit so bad for my jeep, but I love it way to much to do a 'puck' lift. IMO, Its best to hold out for a full-suspension lift. (Frankenlift I Premium + JBA Arms) = ~$1200 before install.

Not sure why you suggest the coil would snap??? Haven't seen anyone have that issue yet on our KJs, no matter what lift you choose. Maybe I missedit. I am sure if I did, someone will quickly point it out.

You don't HAVE to get the UCA's unless you just want to. Stock UCAs will work fine with OME spring lift, or Daystar spacer lift.

OME springs 927 front 948 rears with Rancho shocks RSX 17505 front rear RSX 17004 along with 2 teraflex bumpstops for the front $650/$675

anytime you have one with over 35/40000 miles you are going to see a great difference if you just go ahead and replace everything , then you are good to go for several thousand miles ( mine has over 80,000 on the above setup)

This is probably the most common and sturdiest setup. But it is $650 vs. $150 for a Daystar kit at first glance. But... $ 650 for the OME Springs AND 4 Ranchos. If you add 4 Ranchos to the Daystar, you are going to spend closer to $420 (RSX17505 - $150/pr, RSX17004 - $120/pr) that is still over a $200 difference, but stock springs will sag and need to be replaced WAAAAAAY before a set of OMEs will.

I put on the Daystar with the stock shocks and extended bumpstops. It rides just fine, and I am not at all worried about snapping a coil. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have put the Ranchos on the front when I installed the lift. Would save me from having to tear the coil assembly down again just to replace them in the long run. You can swap the rear shocks any time easily in 15 minutes without tearing apart anything else.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what people expect for $150, I mean really, you can not beat the price point here. I have ~80,000 miles on my '02, all my suspension stuff looks and feels good, and for now, I see no reason to change anything out. I've been working on cars and trucks for several years so I am not naive to worn suspension parts, but if your stuff isn't blown already, putting a Daystar kit on with the proper bumpstops should not cause your stock parts to fail any earlier. And again, $650+ vs. $150? I'll replace my stock struts and shocks when they go, in the meantime I'll work on other upgrades.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
If it wasn't for the fact that I had a $1400.00 (It was $1200.00 but it went up $200.00)Veterinarian bill I'd have my Frankenlift right now!:mad:
After looking at photographs of "Daystar" lifts installed and the coils springs so far compressed to a point that they will surely bind when taking a good hit off road, I will gladly wait another month for OME coils and such! I'll buy the more costly "Off road" suspension rather than the "Off road" look spacers!
My ¢.02 worth.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacked by adding pucks???? Doesn't look over-compressed to me. Looks like they have virtually the same spacing between coils.

Before Daystar lift:
You must be registered for see images attach

After Daystar Lift:

Not using extended bumpstops is what causes the stacking. And that can happen with OEM+pucks, or with OME springs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02 parts manual:

You must be registered for see images
Not in my '02 parts book,and mine is copy right from the dealer along with my '02 FSM,copied them when I was still working at the dealership.Not in this one either--http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php.

Like I said it might have been a export only thing like the mickey mouse renny light bar.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacked by adding pucks???? Doesn't look over-compressed to me. Looks like they have virtually the same spacing between coils.

Before Daystar lift:

After Daystar Lift:

Not using extended bumpstops is what causes the stacking. And that can happen with OEM+pucks, or with OME springs.
They will sag real fast after the daystar spacer lift,seen in already in person on a fellow KJ'er which we replaced the daystar with a Frankinlift and he gaines 4",yes a actual 4" over the daystar 2.5" spacer lift.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
They will sag real fast after the daystar spacer lift,seen in already in person on a fellow KJ'er which we replaced the daystar with a Frankinlift and he gaines 4",yes a actual 4" over the daystar 2.5" spacer lift.

Very interesting!
On my way home a '03 lifted LTD. pulls along side me at a stop light and the gal behind the steering wheel starts asking me about my roof rack and luggage basket I have fitted...
I in turn ask him about her lift!
She replies sort of bitter in tone of voice, and then mentioned that she should of done a proper "spring" lift from the git go!
I asked "What do you mean?"
Her reply was, "I had one of those ""Daystar"" spacer lifts and it sucked big time!"
Then her husband said "I told you so!" I should of never listened to you in the first place and gone with OME coils and struts!"
Long story short, poor old hubby did the labour twice for his wife and "now it's done proper!"

But, to each their own!
I like to spend money like anybody else... But doing it right the first time is something I've been doing for 25 plus years!

Cheers
Ry'

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am not sure where you all are getting this "stacking" thing from
yes it can happen on an improperly set up suspension
and spacer lifts with out extended bump stops are what does it
however Old Man Emu when properly installed ,OME springs on stock length
struts and they are all stock length, will not stack
I have OME and Rancho on the front of the KJ and it does not stack ,not even close
I run the Med. springs on a basically stock ,besides a custom ****** skid, KJ

heck I run 2.5 Skyjacker coils with a 3/4" spacer and 2" of bump stop and they dont even stack ,it is close but not touching , on my TJ

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure where you all are getting this "stacking" thing from
yes it can happen on an improperly set up suspension
and spacer lifts with out extended bump stops are what does it
however Old Man Emu when properly installed ,OME springs on stock length
struts and they are all stock length, will not stack
I have OME and Rancho on the front of the KJ and it does not stack ,not even close
I run the Med. springs on a basically stock ,besides a custom ****** skid, KJ

heck I run 2.5 Skyjacker coils with a 3/4" spacer and 2" of bump stop and they dont even stack ,it is close but not touching , on my TJ

Yes, I understand!;)

trzam400

Reaction score
?

What about the rustys 2.5 spacer lift where the front lift is above the strut and you dont even have to disassemble the strut to install the spacer. I can see the rear maby cause your just jacking the seat.
IM looking to do a 2.5 inch lift, (rustys $159) dont want to spend alot IM not doing real serious off roading just driving on a beach. Ruts in some spots are a little deep where it hits skid plate. But with stock suspensions an tires I make it through fine just want some extra clearence. Not even airing down tires.
My main concern is sway bars, break hoses, CV , and universal joints. I dont want to sacriface the ride quility and dont want to go any Higher or I wont be able to fit truck in my garage.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I totally agree. icon996.gif The stock springs will sag. BUT... They are not going to sag any quicker with a Daystar lift than they would have in a purely stock configuration. Daystar top plate in combo with the puck give the same spring compression that the stock spring and top plates do. We all know that the stock springs sag over time. Mine have not sagged much at all yet and I am at 30k miles now. I know they will eventually. And when they do, I will happily replace the stock springs and the Daystar pucks with OME HD's. But for now it is fine. Until then I will keep an eye on the hub to fender measurement. When it starts dropping, I'll start saving my pennies. :)

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. icon996.gif The stock springs will sag. BUT... They are not going to sag any quicker with a Daystar lift than they would have in a purely stock configuration. Daystar top plate in combo with the puck give the same spring compression that the stock spring and top plates do. We all know that the stock springs sag over time. Mine have not sagged much at all yet and I am at 30k miles now. I know they will eventually. And when they do, I will happily replace the stock springs and the Daystar pucks with OME HD's. But for now it is fine. Until then I will keep an eye on the hub to fender measurement. When it starts dropping, I'll start saving my pennies. :)

My plans exactly, i like the ride it has now, but from what you say it will be real nice the day i get my nice springs and real lift. But until then im happy with my purchase. just wish i could find time to get an alignment