question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dotcentral

Reaction score
Hope I'm not out in left field on this, but here it goes.

A friend was over this weekend and we got to talking about cars, as we always do. He was commenting on my Liberty & asked how I liked. In fact, I get asked this a lot.

Anyhow, I told him it was mixed, It is about the right size, the price was great, relatively easy to do basic maintenace on, etc. I told him I wasn't happy with the power being so high in the power band and the fuel economy. He was telling me that his dad bought a S10 4-5 years or so ago that didn't really seem to be running its best. So his dad unhooks the battery overnight, which apparently caused the electronics for the engine to loose what ever settings they had stored for regulating the engine. After a couple of dozen miles, the engine had relearned (for lack of a better word) or readjusted itself and ran better with more power & better fuel economy. Presumedly, the thing ran worse before because it was setup to run & pass emmisions from anywhere from High Altitude to sea level.

Assuming my friend isn't exagerating, has anyone tried this with their Liberty? Does the Chrsyler/Jeep engine management system operate in a similar way? How long would the battery need to be disconnected to allow any capacitors or memory storage to discharge.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge with modern engine management systems & terminology. My other vehicle is a 1970 Ford F100 with a 2V carb & a points type distributor. Very simple and easy to understand.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the battery unpluged a number of times. Sometimes you notice a different for the first few miles, mainly an odd shift here or there and then everthing is back to normal. Try it for yourself and decide for yourself.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth trying... give a try.

As far as MPG, the KJ is a brick, so keep that in mind. Now on the interstate, I've seen my KJ's estimated MPG read as high as 24.1. But really, it averages 18 in mixed use driving.

Latest posts

Members online