Question on roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the factory roof rails on a 2005 Renegade a little thicker than the other 2005 KJ's? I'm looking at the Surco Safari and was wondering it it'd all fit okay just by ordering the one that "fits your 2005 Jeep Liberty".

And they tell me I don't need cross bars to install them. Is this true? Anyone have a 2005 Renegade w/ a Surco Safari?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
Are the factory roof rails on a 2005 Renegade a little thicker than the other 2005 KJ's? I'm looking at the Surco Safari and was wondering it it'd all fit okay just by ordering the one that "fits your 2005 Jeep Liberty".

And they tell me I don't need cross bars to install them. Is this true? Anyone have a 2005 Renegade w/ a Surco Safari?

You don't need crossbars it comes with it all... I would think if it says for the 2005 it should fit fine. I've got a 2002 with the surco rack, so I am not exactly sure on the rail sizes.

Bennett

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Bennett. By the way, how do these baskets mount to the rails? Is is like a clamp (w/foam or soft rubber in between) and then tightened by a nut/bolt?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
Thanks for your reply, Bennett. By the way, how do these baskets mount to the rails? Is is like a clamp (w/foam or soft rubber in between) and then tightened by a nut/bolt?

It's a clamp with a rubber inside that is tightened by a special tool it comes with, (so people can't steal it)

Bennett

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I confirmed Surco roof racks don't fit the 2005 Rennie's... but I thought I'd like to share the interesting response I got from Surco Products, Inc.:

The Liberty does not offer roof rails. The rails on both vehicles are the same. The difference in the Renegade is that the rails are being cover by a large plastic cover like rack. This is the reason our racks cannot be attached. If you wish to remove the plastic rack then we can attach our Safari Rack to the existing rails.

About two minutes later...

Sorry, we do not have an application for that vehicle.

Looks like he did three minutes of research on this and then decided to ramble on with the first response...until he realized a minute later he goofed.

schnitzelpuss

Reaction score
eddiev9 said:

I have an 05 renegade also, but havent even started to look. I'm interested to learn what fits and what doesnt.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:

The rails are bigger on some Libertys, some are silver colored, some are black. We need a spreadsheet to figure out what model/year has what. (future project?) (whistle)

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schnitzelpuss said:
eddiev9 said:

I have an 05 renegade also, but havent even started to look. I'm interested to learn what fits and what doesnt.

Keep us posted on your research. I'm having no luck with vendors that I email...(like the response I got from Surco). At first, they are usually positive the racks fit on all Liberty's until I ask about the thicker roof rails. It seems most others require crossbars...which also run into the thicker rail problem. Plus, there's a lot of confusion with terms: racks, rails, crossbars, load bars...

Might have to go with the OEM basket...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.