Pulling Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched through the posts to try to find an answer, even google. I couldn't find a definite answer but found many with a similar problem. I just replaced all my Upper Control arms with JBA uppers and my lower control arms. I have a SkyJacker lift, 2.5-3". I took it to get aligned, got it back a day later and they said it was all good. The caster was not within spec but both were the same and was told it wouldn't cause problems. After a day of riding on highway, back roads and city the steering in general felt sloppy and had a definite pull to the right. If I hit bumps I can feel the Jeep want to go right. I called them back they said it was the tires, even though they are somewhat new. Less than 2000 miles with minimal tread wear. I rotated them back to front and still have a pull to the right. I just dropped it off and am waiting to hear back. Hoping someone on here has any ideas. I read something about cross camber? Not sure what that is or what to do with it. Thanks for the help in advance.
You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the rear lower control arms? When i first got my jeep they were completely shot and when the car was moving forward it would pull to the right because the left one was so worn out it caused the rear axle to twist in a way that made the rear wheels point out a bit to the left essentially causing me to pull to the right. Kinda like a monster truck with 4 wheel steering does when turning right.
When resting or under deceleration everything would go back to normal.

Last edited:

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at them when I get it back today. I don't know that I have ever checked them. How do you tell if they are bad? If they are bad, what should I replace them with, having the small lift that I do, does it matter what I buy?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might not be accounting for natural road crown. Does it happen on completely flat highways too?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been wondering something horrible. Not really a pull to the right. The steering wheel will actually turn left and right on its own if you let go when going straight down the road.... Cant really drive it till I figure this issue out...

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this issue too however mine is due to the fact that our city is more interested in expensive "Urban art" rather than fixing the roads.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check to see if your front hub assemblies are good. I would also check your tie rod ends.

Maybe Im wrong, but unless they are making a noise thats a little involved. The CV joint holds the bearing together so I suppose you need to take the CV nut off to actually check them.

Ive seen bearings show no play until you had the cv/ujoint nut off and then checked it for play. It had a lot of play too!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe Im wrong, but unless they are making a noise thats a little involved. The CV joint holds the bearing together so I suppose you need to take the CV nut off to actually check them.

Ive seen bearings show no play until you had the cv/ujoint nut off and then checked it for play. It had a lot of play too!

The KJ's front bearings are not held together by the CV axle.Same bearings in 2wd's and 4wd's.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got it back an hour ago and they have no idea why it does it. Had a long talk with the manager, he asked all about what I have done with the jeep and when it started. We worked through trying to come up with ideas but we drew a blank. Thankfully he didn't charge me anything.

Tie-rod ends are good recently replaced those. Also the front hub/bearings a good too, replaced both of them 4 months ago, just to be sure I checked them for play last week.

It pulls to the right everywhere, highway, city and backroads. I even drove on the left side of the road when it was pulling just to check to see if it was the uneven tilt of the road they put in there. Still have no idea, gonna keep searching a trying things. Thanks for all the help so far.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
have you rotated the tires and tried that yet?
Only a few things it can be
Bad tire
Caliper sticking some
Alignment
those are the top 3 that I start with

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you rotated the tires and tried that yet?
Only a few things it can be
Bad tire
Caliper sticking some
Alignment
those are the top 3 that I start with

Second that on the caliper sticking.

Jack up the car and put everything in neutral and compare the amount of force required to spin the tires.If it's a sticky caliper then you might be able to notice the wheel that's a bit harder to turn than the rest or just look for pads that are worn more than others. Also if you have an infrared temperature gun your can compare the temps on the disks after a short drive and the one that is hotter than the rest could be your sticking caliper.

If that doesn't help look for a tire shop that has a hunter road force balancing machine and have the tires road force balanced.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same problem after replacing one of my upper control arms with Mopar one. I have Ironman springs and shocks installed and I am sitting at 20.5''.

So now it's pulling right. I tried two alignments at places that have done good job on the same truck in the past. After first pulling right everywhere. Rotated tires and it didn't help. After second things got a bit better but the guys that did the alignment really tried to compensate for the pulling. I.e. they put the numbers at the end of the allowed ranges and did the allignment with one of them sitting in the driver's seat. Things got better but not as good as they used to be before the replacement.

I am kinda dumbfounded, too. I did compare the A-arms before replacing and they seemed completely identical. What I got in, though, went under 68068615AB and the manual says I need 52088632AC. Both of these are sold as Lberty KJ control arms, and the collective wisdom of the community says all KJs have the same suspension. But I really wonder whether I might have found a difference here.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No impact, no idea...

Jacked up the Jeep last night, put it on stands and spun the tires. They seemed to be the same, no odd sounds, same resistance same spin. Pushed/Pulled no play in the wheels either. Pulled off the wheels and checked the pads and rotors, they still look like they are in great condition and have similar wear. Rotated all the tires, Back Right went on Front Left, Back Left went on Front Right. Drove and felt no change, still pulling to the right the same amount. I continue to be baffled.

Would any shop have a Hunter Road Force Balance or is that like a special equipment only a certain shop would have.

Also I don't know if this is related but better to throw it out there just in case it is. I got in my Jeep today backed up while turning the wheel to back out of the garage and I heard a clunk about 3/4 of the way through turning the wheel. Tried to recreate it but had no luck, might have just been an anomaly.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been wondering something horrible. Not really a pull to the right. The steering wheel will actually turn left and right on its own if you let go when going straight down the road.... Cant really drive it till I figure this issue out...

Check the bushings for the steering rack mounts. Mine did that and I checked the bushings, they were shot allowing movement in the steering system.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got under the jeep but wasn't sure what I was looking for, is there going to be play or just a loose bushing? Are there any other signs I could look for to see if it or the whole rack is bad?

Sorry if this duplicates. I have tried posting this reply twice and it won't go up.

Members online

No members online now.