Project mall crawler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with tjkj2002 regarding the paint job. I'm not knocking you or nothing but yeah. if it can come off it should be taken off for the paint process. That's just simply the proper way to do it. It's more of a fact rather then his opinion. It doesn't even look like you took the top roof rail things off. But I understand you are allowed to do it the way you want it done.

I don't think he was trying to be "elitist" or anything. Just pointing out a fact and nothing more. Take the critisism as knowledge to help you as you finish the project not as him trying to slam you. Just like if you had knowledge on something and saw someone on here doing it "not the best way" you'd chime in in hopes of pointing them in the right direction. That's kind of what the whole point of the forum is.

I do however hope it turns out great and look forward to seeing everything once it's finished though.

wrknman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a little back ground for every one who is so worried about my painting abilities. The jambs have been sanded sealed and painted. They are door jambs. They won't peel in a year or two. Yes I painted them with the doors on and I did not take the door panels off. They are door jambs and you can't see under the hinges or the door panels. As far as the roof goes their is a hard contour line and it was sanded very well. As far as the rest of the jeep door handles are coming off so are molding the hood and grill as well as the bumpers.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few people that think they now every thing about every thing.

Personally, I'd rather be on a forum with a few people that know as much as those you speak of. That way when I have an issue I know I'm probably getting a pretty accurate answer.

Sometimes I might not get the answer or criticism that I like but I know it's probably helping point me in the right direction. I'd rather someone act "elitest" while giving me honest criticism or answers over someone steering me in the wrong direction..

Then again, I guess some people are also really sensitive and so when they make a post to hear others opinions they get really dramatic when they don't just hear what they want too.

brianawd

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather be on a forum with a few people that know as much as those you speak of. That way when I have an issue I know I'm probably getting a pretty accurate answer.

Sometimes I might not get the answer or criticism that I like but I know it's probably helping point me in the right direction. I'd rather someone act "elitest" while giving me honest criticism or answers over someone steering me in the wrong direction..

Then again, I guess some people are also really sensitive and so when they make a post to hear others opinions they get really dramatic when they don't just hear what they want too.

Why do they have to act elitest? Why can't they just give some humble advice and be done with it. Why must they always try and prove they know more then any one else.

The person that started this thread did not ask how to paint his jeep. But Then someone has to tell him he is doing it wrong. Well wrong way to one person my be the right way to some one else. We all do things different. 12+years as a tech, I can tell you the right way is not always the right way. If I was still doing everything the way the book told me to do it I would never make any money.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do they have to act elitest? Why can't they just give some humble advice and be done with it. Why must they always try and prove they know more then any one else.
I can't really answer for them but if I had to guess it's mostly because they keep seeing the exact same questions over and over instead of people looking it up. Which I am just as guilty of doing myself. I've gotten some snide answers to my redundant questions as well. Just can't take it personal I guess.

In the instance of this thread it was more just said that it was being done half assed. Sure there are probably subtler ways of saying it but not everyone is subtle. The OP did post oup to get other peoples opinions and that was exactly what he got. Some good, some harsh.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do hope the OP keeps posting up his progress though. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Should look pretty sweet I think.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do hope the OP keeps posting up his progress though. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Should look pretty sweet I think.

I agree.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep this thread going please. I get a lot of this when I'm sharing what I'm doing to MY jeep. Not asking how to do it. Looks like you know how to paint to me. I'm a painter so is my dad and two uncles. It just depends on the kinda job the customer wants. A daily driver? With the right paint primer and clear. You don't have to take everything out. Professional car show job. Multi layers. Everything comes off. Buff clear buff clear buff clear. Until it shines the way you want. Keep up YOUR work with YOUR jeep. And he could've said that a way better way than saying you job was half a$$ed twice. Constructive criticism and just acting better than someone cause they don't do it exactly like you are two different things. He hates the fact that I'm putting a carbureted 350 in mine. Honestly most of the people on this forum do. But they haven't stopped me from doing what I want with MY Jeep.
Good luck!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The person that started this thread did not ask how to paint his jeep. But Then someone has to tell him he is doing it wrong. Well wrong way to one person my be the right way to some one else. We all do things different. 12+years as a tech, I can tell you the right way is not always the right way. If I was still doing everything the way the book told me to do it I would never make any money.
Never said anything bad besides the painting was being done wrong.There are only 2 ways to paint a vehicle,the correct way and the halfa$$ed way.

Keep this thread going please. I get a lot of this when I'm sharing what I'm doing to MY jeep. Not asking how to do it. Looks like you know how to paint to me. I'm a painter so is my dad and two uncles. It just depends on the kinda job the customer wants. A daily driver? With the right paint primer and clear. You don't have to take everything out if you want a maaco quality paint job. Professional paint job. Multi layers. Everything comes off to do it correctly. Buff clear buff clear buff clear. Until it shines the way you want. Keep up YOUR work with YOUR jeep. And he could've said that a way better way than saying you job was half a$$ed twice. Constructive criticism and just acting better than someone cause they don't do it exactly like you are two different things. He hates the fact that I'm putting a carbureted 350 in mine. Honestly most of the people on this forum do. But they haven't stopped me from doing what I want with MY Jeep.
Good luck!
Fixed it for you.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Food for thought ....

You can easily judge the character of a man, by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.