profdlp's 2007 Liberty Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pro comp stuff is generally ok. What about Nitto Terra Grapplers or Duratracs?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm finding that buying tires is a whole lot harder when you're not at NTB telling them "just give me the cheapest ones you've got that will fit". Sixteen years of driving my old Tracker has spoiled me in that regard.

I'm finding that the "where" is about as important as the "what". So many places have add-ons that can change the price dramatically, especially when you're buying five of them.

I like the Grabber AT/2 and the Nitto's I was looking at really caught my eye, too. I wish places stocked them. There's nothing like doing your research and then being able to actually SEE the item before you lay down a grand on something.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Goodyear Authority's which are somewhat compared to Duratracs in tread pattern/performance but at half the cost
Can't wait until winter comes so I can see how they do but they look great
The tread is the deepest I've seen on an A/T- even deeper than the Duratracs so I presume they'll be great in snow/mud
I'm putting some pictures up tomorrow once I get some good pics

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm finding that buying tires is a whole lot harder when you're not at NTB telling them "just give me the cheapest ones you've got that will fit". Sixteen years of driving my old Tracker has spoiled me in that regard.

I'm finding that the "where" is about as important as the "what". So many places have add-ons that can change the price dramatically, especially when you're buying five of them.

I like the Grabber AT/2 and the Nitto's I was looking at really caught my eye, too. I wish places stocked them. There's nothing like doing your research and then being able to actually SEE the item before you lay down a grand on something.

If you have a Discount tire near by, they'll match any online price. I got my last set of Terras there, they wanted like $160 each, I found them online for $138 and they matched it and still included free balancing, rotations and roadhazard. I just use the balancing though. Took them a day or two to order them.

If you want to see them in person, I'd just cruise different parking lots lol. And then if they're the right size, just make sure you have a jack and cinder blocks (if you're feeling nice). No discount like the five finger discount. :D

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a Discount tire near by, they'll match any online price...
I just checked and there is one not far at all. I will definitely be checking this out. :D

...If you want to see them in person, I'd just cruise different parking lots lol. And then if they're the right size, just make sure you have a jack and cinder blocks (if you're feeling nice). No discount like the five finger discount. :D
I'll be sure to mention you when I'm down at the station getting fingerprinted. Yes, indeed. :happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They probably have my pic on some bulletin board. :D

Check out onlinetires.com
They seem to have the best prices, that's who I had Discount tire match.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the general grabbers 2 sets ago before my winterforce.. running Wranglers now, and would go back to the grabbers over these any day of the week..
As for the where I hope you find them soon or get them ordered online! Tried doing a search but seems to just show every tire you'd want and to call..
So I'd imagine these aren't updated by their stock and if you've checked already they must not have em..

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prof, are there any Mr. Tire stores near you? They've been good to me and will match online prices. Free rotations for the life of the tire. free lifetime balancing, other goodies.

They carry lots of different brands too.

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Great suggestions, everyone. I thank you.

Bob, there is a Mr. Tire somewhere not too far. When I was stuck down in Virginia a year ago I bought some online for my fiancees car.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
New Year's Eve: Ordered five 255-70-16 tires. Joy!

New Year's Day: Went out with a list of houses I am considering buying. Scary thought, but if I pull it off it would be wonderful. Got a mile down the road and heard horrible noises coming from the passenger side rear wheel. Limped home and parked her.

Today: Took the tire off, then the brake caliper. One of the chintzy aluminum pins holding the BRAND STINKING NEW parking brake guts in place had failed, dumping the springs, etc., loose inside the rotor.

I just took all the stuff out, removed the loose linkage from the cable bracket, then bolted everything back up. I remember being leery of those two little pins when I installed the stuff last summer, but hey - the experts who design this stuff can't be wrong, right...? :emotions34:

Debating my next move. :blah:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
General Grabber AT2 in 255-70-16

I spent several weeks calling price matching places to see if they could match Walmarts price. I'd always get the same line: We'll have to look that up and get back to you. Then they never did. I'd have just gone to Walmart but they would never answer the phone. I didn't really feel like coughing up that much money, have the tires delivered to the store, then get the runaround when it came to installing them.

On New Year's Eve I was driving down the road with my girlfriend and had to stop at my bank. There was a Firestone dealer right there so I thought I'd duck inside and ask, just in case. They gave me a decent price and said they would have them in today. A couple hours ago they called, said the tires were in, then scheduled me for tomorrow morning. Fifteen hours from now I hope to be pulling out of the shop with the new tires on! :D

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I certainly know how exciting this can be. I just got a wheel via UPS to test fit. I ordered a single tire from a dealer in Reno (and online) this morning and a new TPS. I lost hours of sleep and burned my eyeballs out reading reviews, watching videos. I haven't felt like this since I asked a girl for my first date a bazillion years ago.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. Think I'm going to do the same and order 1 wheel to test fit. Still not sure on the tire though. Really liked my Grabber AT2's and know I should probably stick with them but considering something a little more aggressive like the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO, Firestone Destination M/T or the BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2.

Planning on a 15" steel rim and 30x9.5R15 tire.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference I had a very easy time getting Discount Tire Direct to price match. They've been my vendor of choice for the last 3 tire orders I have done.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime, Sears and Tirerack are my normal go to places for tires. Have to be careful with Sears though. They're prices can and often do change daily. No BS I've had the price change over $100 on 4 tires from one day to the next. Sometimes they even throw in $100 worth of points to be used on your next purchase. That's normally when I jump on them. Summit Racing can sometimes surprise you as well.

Haven't written of the 255/70R16's myself as well. Just find a better selection of the more aggressive tires in the 30x9.5R15's.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the tires installed today and they look terrific. They're the icing on the top of the lift cake.