Problem with Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A month ago suddenly my Libby remote entry to unlock range/distnace was cut very very short. With both keys. I am going to go through the process of explaining, so you know and I will give you suggestions..
First I changed the batteries in both keys/remotes. It was cheap and never replaced them since new. I went with unlimited replacements through a Battery Only store.. $10 both out the door..
I thought it was fixed. Seemed to lock/unlock right after. Got home not so much problem same as before.
I started googling problem. Came to the conclusion it was the wirless transceiver (TCU I think it is called). I called the local dealer said what I have done and what I think it is. They said we dont have part but its local so bring it in. So next day I took it to them. They said it was the part but like a week out to get. I was like WTF.. So I said OKKKK. And took the jeep back home. The next day the Jeep started very sluggishly. I had to about a month prior go jump start it at a store when the wife called. So I put it on the charger then, just thinking it was weak from being stored a year. So when it started weakly I decided to change the battery. Drove it to parts store told them what I wanted and changed it in the parking lot. (avoided core charge).
Amazingly or not-surprised.. The remote system works perfectly now.
So.. If your wireless entry system is actling like the range is real short.. What I suggest is testing... I would try to jumper the batter to another battery. No need to start the cars.. Now see if the wireless system is working.. This could save you $250 for the part and $250 for labor (as it requires dealer programming). Just wanted to share this. I got lucky and avoided this unecessary expense. Hope that helps someone.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice!

My expertise is more with computers than Jeeps (I'm learning, though!), but a lot of phantom problems in computers come down to a bad Power Supply. It can make any number of other components "look" bad when they aren't. :)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM, TCM and BCM do not like working on low voltage.....glad you found this out yourself before wasting lots of $$$ on the problem!