Problem with '06 Renegade ticking sound, just got the car on Saturday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i picked up an '06 Renegade with 54k in excellent conditon over the weekend from a private party. I drove it around on Sunday and heard a little ticking under the hood, just enough to bug me. Sounds kind of like a lifter, but not as loud. You can hear it at idle and starting off. Cant hear it on the freeway.

I took it into the local Jeep dealer this morning.

At first they thought it was the water pump. They said they took off the belt and it didnt stop.

They have come to the conclusion that its a wrist pin and they have to pull the motor. Huh? What? Huh?

Its covered under the factory extended warranty. Lucky for me its transferable.

To summarize: I picked up a cherry 2006 Renegade with 54,000 miles that the owner was selling for his daughter that recently got a divorce. I test drove the vehicle on Wednesday and picked up the car on Saturday. Drove it home (two hours) ran like a champ. Sunday I woke up and detailed the car. Drove it around for a few hours and noticed a ticking sound at idle and from stop signs etc. Took it to a dealer on Monday morning. Dealer's shop says it a wrist pin and they have to pull the motor.

Should I try and return the Jeep to the original owner. Or roll the dice and hope that the dealer does a great job and I get a "factory" rebuilt motor for the $100 deductible?

Help!!!

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry, thank goodness it's under warranty. Let the dealership take care of it and rest.

But I will say... we are aware of the 3.7L's weaknesses and this is the first time I've heard of a wrist pin going bad...

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
You would assume the dealer wasn't just drumming up business to keep their doors open...

But more common problems with this symptom are a timing chain tensioner, valve springs, or even a crappy oil filter. If the noise sounds like it may be from the water pump area, i'd think timing chain before "wrist pin." Most deep motor issues of that nature won't sound like the water pump.

A new motor for $100 on a used car? If you coud trust them to put in what they said, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then get the $100 from the seller as I doubt this is news to them.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I researched these little Jeeps like a mad man for the last few weeks. I'm coming off of two Ford Explorers in the last 14 years. 255,000 on the first one and 176,000 on the current one. Both with VERY minor repairs.

I thought I had it pretty much figured out and I wanted to try something different and U.S. Made. That still means something to me.

Man, what a bummer. Wrist pin failure just isnt something very popular these days.

I really need your guys advice on this one.

Have dealer repair or try and return?

Thats where I'm at.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service guy thought it was the water pump. I really didnt think so. I was thinking more exhaust leak, or lifter.

It sounds like its coming from the drivers side head area but lower. If that makes sense.

I havent owned many different cars. Wrist pin noise is a first for me.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I think maybe your right. Every car can have its problems.

54k on the motor and the extended warranty goes to 84k

The service guy said something about a 70% labor rate. I guess if they pull the motor and determine that it needs some major repair then they just put in a new long block. Cheaper in the long run for them I guess.

I'll find out more tomorrow morning.

I left the car at the shop.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still doubt its a wrist pin, i can't find anyone on here using the search that had a reported problem of such nature. I have found ticking noise associated with a timing chain tensioner and lifter noise, but that's about it.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you like vehicles that eat balljoints and timing chains :D

In all seriousness, though...it's more likely a timing chain issue.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrist pin seems pretty far out to me.

It sure makes me wonder about the shop.

I looked all over the web for Jeep 3.7 wrist pin failure. I dont see any. ?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wrist pin seems pretty far out to me.

It sure makes me wonder about the shop.

I looked all over the web for Jeep 3.7 wrist pin failure. I dont see any. ?

That's because wrist pins don't fail on the 3.7L. Now if you search for valve springs, you might find something. :p

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it makes me wonder if his problem is really bad or not??

But i know how it is, you hear a noise and it drives you nuts until you know. And since you have warranty might as well check!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7 has rather loud injectors,they tick very loudly when they fire and can be heard plainly at idle.Heck I can even hear them and I'm almost legally deaf.

Rather loud is an understatement....

They're dang near sonic booms...
So that's what that noise is I hear from under there? I usually do the most recommended thing on the forum and 'turn up the radio' :D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
FOUND THE PROBLEM!

Stop calling it a car and it will stop failing ;)

ThunderbirdJunkie has noticed that all the KJs that are prone to failure are owned by people that call them CARS. Just sayin':D

(yeahthat) ... lol

I heard every time you call your Jeep a car ... a cat dies ....